Quarantine tank

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
We moved from Virginia to Alabama and I sold off my 20-year hoard of aquarium equipment and tanks thinking I would get new after move. We have settled in and I went the pond route instead of in-door tanks. So, my pond is under construction, we are taking our time with it, and I am now working out all the things I need to support a thriving community of shubunkin goldfish and plants.
So, what do I need for a QT tank. Thinking I can set it up now but not sure what ponders use for an ideal QT tank? I suppose that after I set it up I can begin to collect fish/plants in it that will be the first stocking of the pond.
Do folks routinely treat new fish in the QT tank with anything or just observe them for a week or two. I don’t want to default to my aquarium rules of thumb and screw up my new pond.
Thanks.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use a stock tank and a small pump with a crate on top of a crate with lava rock and quilt batting in it .I bought the tuff one at tractor supply rather than a rubber made one .It is cheaper and has straight sides on it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Thanks sissy, do you Clorox dip plants before you introduce them to QT and again before you move them to pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Sissy,
I bought the one you recommended and want to set it up to quarantine my fish in until pond is ready. That may be another 2 months or more depending on weather etc. I still have not settled on fish to get but leaning hard to shubunkin goldfish. Originally wanted koi but the forum folks have convinced me that my pond will be to small. I assume the fish will be OK in the stock tank until the pond is finished and has cycled. Going to add a pump and filter and a rock cave for them to hide in. And a net over top.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 4 of them and love all of them 2 -40 gallon ones and the 110 gallon 1 and the smaller one which is either 15 or 25 gallons .I leave them out with no problems .I have 2 rubber made ones I bought at a house auction and really don't like them .I made a dolly to put the one on down by the basement and come winter I push it in with some water hyacinth in them and an aerator and over winter them .I used window screening on top of mine with some dollar store clamps to hold it down

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@MajorDan - if you plan to add all your fish to the pond at one time, what would be the reason to quarantine them first? Having them all in the same quarantine pond is no different than having them all in the same actual pond, right?

Maybe I'm missing something...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It gives you a better chance to see them together to make sure they are healthy and have nothing they can transfer to the new pond also .If one looks unhealthy it is easier to see and catch him .I tell people who take my fish to do the same

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
My pond will not be ready for occupancy until the end of September or later. Between planned travel and slow digging i have to much time to think. Since I hit water and the ground is sticky clay, I am now planning on walls above ground so I can reduce the amount of clay that needs removed. So I am deep into planning everything including the QT that will be home to my new occupants for sometime as I am not going to start buying fish until the end is in sight.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Always be prepared ,the you never know can always happen .So it is smart to have a stock tank handy no matter what >have mine ready all the time and if you have city water it is even more important .I use window screening to catch baby fish and throw food in it and pull it up with babies in it and then they go in the stock tank and to their new homes

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't have the space in my yard to keep a quarantine tank at the ready. I have a medium sized pond in a small suburban yard. And honestly in 7 years I've never needed one. I think it's great that you have the space and the inclination @sissy and I know you help a lot of people out with their fish, which is awesome. But I wouldn't want anyone to read this and think they can't keep a pond if they don't have room for a variety of extra quarantine ponds - it's not always practical and for me would be a waste of space.

Ask a Question