Question about adding on...

Reaction score
I currently have a 120 gallon preformed pond with a 30 gallon preformed pond as a bog filter. The setup is doing remarkably well and the fish are healthy. (black moors and fantail goldfish).

The fantails have bred and we now have too many fish and don't want to give them up just yet. (Actually, this was an excuse to go bigger!)

Anyhow, I am getting a new fiberglass tub that was supposed to be used for transporting cream in it but I am getting it before it gets used. It's 4x4x2 feet so 240 gallons.

I ordered a piece of pond liner that is 8x5 and plan on making a stream that is about 2 feet wide 12" deep and 5 feet long in between the old pond and new one. The plan is to empty the 120 and keep the fish in a kiddie pool while i do the reconstruction. I am going to cut a piece out of the side of the existing pond and the new one to accomodate the stream and glue in the pond liner between them.

First off, has anyone done this?

Second, some of the guys over at Monter FIshkeepers have used loctite marine sealant to seal the liner to pvc pools. I was wondering would it do well for this application.

Sorry to be long winded but the new "pond" and the liner will be here friday and I was hoping to get started this weekend. I will take pics of the progress.

Thanks,
Steven

Reaction score
BTW, the cream tub is fish safe. The person giving it to me has been using one as a pond for about 2 years with no issues... the only problem is.... it's yellow! I don't that will matter after a month in the sun though. :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had a leak in a boot in my bog. I finally used 5200 which is a marine sealant, to get the leak to stop. Home depot.

I think you will be cutting the pond, putting the liner into the cut, ie the liner would be in the water of that pond. You may want to get some single side tape, use that to cover the edge of the liner that is in the pond. Or really glue down the edge, water has a way of worming around.

Silicone, urethane seem to work for others. But I had a lot of trouble making them stick to my liner. It is not a epdm liner.

If you use the 5200 sealant make sure you give it enough time to cure, at least 24 hours, longer if you can. It is permanent waterproof, meant to seal boats.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
dantimdad said:
BTW, the cream tub is fish safe. The person giving it to me has been using one as a pond for about 2 years with no issues... the only problem is.... it's yellow! I don't that will matter after a month in the sun though. :)

Mellow yellow, lol

Reaction score
Awesome! I appreciate the input.

Yes, you described exactly what I am planning. I will go to home depot and get the 5200.

Thanks again!

Steven

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
dantimdad said:
Awesome! I appreciate the input.

Yes, you described exactly what I am planning. I will go to home depot and get the 5200.

Thanks again!

Steven

They have it in the paint department, but not with all the caulking etc, at least here. It was on a different isle with plumbers goop (that works well to) and things of that sort. I let mine dry for two days, before water touched it.

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
I couldn't seem to engineer a weir for my filter in the time I had alotted to work on it. So, finally, in a fit of "aw, screw it", I just glued the liner directly to a rubbermaid stock tank, with some plumber's goop or glue or something I picked up at Lowe's. It was a temporary fix, but it looks good, works well, and hasn't leaked a single drop yet (I have a raised filter, so I can see under the repair with a flashlight and some contortionism).

Ask a Question