Question about adding Zyme

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
For as long as I've had my pond, I've been adding BB and Zyme, during cycling, and as maintenance, cause that's what I was taught to do!....after reading the benefit of each, I see that they are very similar (improve water quality, clarity, reduce odor etc. ) so now I'm starting to question if I really do need to add both...?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you have water quality or clarity or smells then you need to first find out what is causing them .I never believe chemicals are the answer .

Reaction score
For as long as I've had my pond, I've been adding BB and Zyme, during cycling, and as maintenance, cause that's what I was taught to do!....after reading the benefit of each, I see that they are very similar (improve water quality, clarity, reduce odor etc. ) so now I'm starting to question if I really do need to add both...?
From the point of view from someone who has never used, or found a need for, either of those products in any of my ponds or many aquariums I would suggest that maybe you have been wasting your money.
Who exactly taught you that you needed to use them? (your pond store rep?)
If you ever have issues with your water quality, odor, clarity, etc... You'd be better off doing things like spending the time and money on regular pond maintenance, upgrading your water circulation system (pump?), filter system, reducing your fish load, etc...

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Are you referring to Pond-zyme, used to help remove pond sediment? I used it for years in my ponds. Treated every month after filter cleaning and always had clean liner for the most part. This year I decided to give it up and save my money! I'm not sure if it was the use of the Pond-zyme or some other issue but my filters have needed cleaned more often and are almost clogged after a few weeks. Fish load is 1/4 of what it has been in past years so its not that. I've gone back to the Pond-zyme 2 weeks ago so will see what happens. Normally by this time of year, filters only need flushed once a month and not fully cleaned till fall. This is the only product I use besides dechlor.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I understand that some of you are against store products, I'm thinking you must have a well balanced, self sustained pond and therefor do not need additional products!
I on the other end have a very short growing season, and can't relay on just plants!
I clean the pond in April but can't add most plants for months and even the few perennials I have, don't start really growing until mid to end of June.
By the time most plants are well established the nights are getting cooler, and everything slows down again!
The pond is located right under the kitchen window and I (and family members) do not tolerate algae or odors, I manage to keep a clear and odor free pond with the help of chemical, my fish are healthy so I don't feel bad about it!
I have no doubt that these products I use do work, because I can tell the difference after a maintenance dose!
My question was not whether to use these products or not, the question was whether I needed both products, or could do fine with just one, and if so which one of the two should I use?

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@Gemma . The only thing I have ever used in my aquarium...and my pond...is Fritzzyme (http://www.fritzzyme.com/index.php?p=fritzzyme-nitrifying-bacteria). It has allowed me to add fish immediately without cycling and have very good water parameters and clarity. I put a bunch of water lettuce and water hyacinths in my pond twice already this year, and they just die. The only plants that have done well for me are dwarf cattails and a water lily, but they are really not plants that help clean the water. Many members poo-poo the use of nitrifying bacteria products, but I think without Fritzzyme, my pond would not be doing as well as it is. Just MHO and I am willing to learn otherwise.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Gemma . Many members poo-poo the use of nitrifying bacteria products, but I think without Fritzzyme, my pond would not be doing as well as it is.
I hope I didn't come across as rude to those against the use of products! If I did, I apologize, I didn't meant to!
@MoonShadows You live in the same hardiness zone as me, and probably face the same challenges! Plants don't always do the same so don't give up on those Hyacinth, perhaps next year they'll do better for you!:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I understand that some of you are against store products, I'm thinking you must have a well balanced, self sustained pond and therefor do not need additional products!
I on the other end have a very short growing season, and can't relay on just plants!
I clean the pond in April but can't add most plants for months and even the few perennials I have, don't start really growing until mid to end of June.
By the time most plants are well established the nights are getting cooler, and everything slows down again!
The pond is located right under the kitchen window and I (and family members) do not tolerate algae or odors, I manage to keep a clear and odor free pond with the help of chemical, my fish are healthy so I don't feel bad about it!
I have no doubt that these products I use do work, because I can tell the difference after a maintenance dose!
My question was not whether to use these products or not, the question was whether I needed both products, or could do fine with just one, and if so which one of the two should I use?

I have to respectfully disagree re the reasoning (for using chems) as I live in a zone shorter/colder than yours at 5A. I've never used chems, but do have lots of plants that really don't get started until about the beginning of June. And most would say my pond is over stocked at ~100 gf of 6-10" size, in 2700 gallons. Plus, 3 turtles. I believe my bog really helps as well as there ARE early spring water plants (water hawthorn and marsh marigold, not to mention yellow flag iris) that get to work early enough.

You can also get the floaters, as many as you need, early enough to help. I typically only get a couple as they multiply fast enough.

Nothing stops you from buying the chems, but from my experience, it isn't necessary and is just a waste of my money. Btw, I don't suffer through any 'cycling' period every year and the water always looks pretty clear. Fish grow and reproduce, the plants always have to be divided, so I don't upset what nature is doing.

Just saying so you can maybe give 'all natural' a chance. If I can do it, I'm sure you can too!

Michael

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I hope I didn't come across as rude to those against the use of products! If I did, I apologize, I didn't meant to!
@MoonShadows You live in the same hardiness zone as me, and probably face the same challenges! Plants don't always do the same so don't give up on those Hyacinth, perhaps next year they'll do better for you!:)

Yes @Gemma ...I noticed we were in the same zone. No...you did not come across as rude to anyone.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
BTW...for those calling something like "nitrifying bacteria" a "chem". It is NOT a "chem". Even @Meyer Jordan in a post a few months back had something good to say about Fritzzyme. I wish I could find the thread now. But, his good words were why I tried it in the first place.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
BTW...for those calling something like "nitrifying bacteria" a "chem". It is NOT a "chem". Even @Meyer Jordan in a post a few months back had something good to say about Fritzzyme. I wish I could find the thread now. But, his good words were why I tried it in the first place.

I know of three (3) "zymes" on the market at present----Fritz Zyme, Pond Zyme and Koi Zyme/ I suspect that I suspect that @Gemma is referring to one of the latter two (2).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I thought the difference in the name were due to different manufacturers, I didn't know there were different kinds!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@brokensword I'd like to see what kind of pond you have, do you have pics posted somewhere on here?

Ask a Question