Question about adding Zyme

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I know of three (3) "zymes" on the market at present----Fritz Zyme, Pond Zyme and Koi Zyme/ I suspect that I suspect that @Gemma is referring to one of the latter two (2).
I didn't know there were different kinds of zyme, I thought each manufactures had their own name

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I thought the difference in the name were due to different manufacturers, I didn't know there were different kinds!

Koi zyme and Pond Zyme are both mixtures of heterotrophic bacteria and enzymes. Fritz Zyme, however, is one of the few products that contain live Nitrifying (autotrophic) bacteria.
The first two (2) are commonly called 'muck busters' whereas the latter is used to speed up the cycling of a new pond or biofilter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@brokensword Thank you for that link, I enjoyed watching your videos, I think your pond is very beautiful!

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@brokensword Thank you for that link, I enjoyed watching your videos, I think your pond is very beautiful!

gemma;

thank you; sometimes I wish it were more 'open air' like most of the ponds but I will say, all the predator/leaves in my pond/kids/deer eating lilies threads make me glad my pond isn't! I guess all ponds have their inherent beauty and tranquility. I was just hoping you can see that all you really need is some water movement, basic filtration, and lots of plants! You should be able to keep alive more plant varieties than me, so I envy your more southerly latitude, even only if its a small amount.

Michael

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks, MS; I appreciate the kind words! I screened in the pond mainly because I didn't want to battle the mosquitoes, and I water the lawn/gardens regularly. I think there's pics on the 'before and after' thread...somewhere.

I try to avoid all the make your pond bigger' threads as I KNOW I could but probably shouldn't. Still, mentioned earlier this summer to my wife that all it would take is extending out the southerly wall and adding in a couple extension wall pieces. Well, that's not all but I TRIED to make it sound really really simple, ya know?;)

Michael

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I on the other end have a very short growing season, and can't relay on just plants!

I won't enter the conversation regarding the use of additives, but I will say your growing season is not what I would consider "short". You have a longer growing season than we do here in 5B and I rely on plants to keep my pond in balance as do all the other pond owners I know in my zone.

If you want to see a short growing season, talk to @MitchM !

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
gemma;

thank you; sometimes I wish it were more 'open air' like most of the ponds but I will say, all the predator/leaves in my pond/kids/deer eating lilies threads make me glad my pond isn't! I guess all ponds have their inherent beauty and tranquility. I was just hoping you can see that all you really need is some water movement, basic filtration, and lots of plants! You should be able to keep alive more plant varieties than me, so I envy your more southerly latitude, even only if its a small amount.

Michael
Thank you for your reply, you've inspired me to try different things, next year!

" I envy your more southerly latitude, even only if its a small amount."
Might be less than you think, since different searches I just did, resulted in different Hardiness Zone

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You're welcome, gemma. I actually LIKE looking for new/different plants for the pond, both for filtering purposes as well as 'texture'. For me, the different plants help make a pond what it is. My wife likes the water lilies and I tend to like stuff like parrots feather, Egyptian papyrus, the various iris, WL and WH (which this year, the fish are ravishing; I had to cordon some away or I'd not have what i do!). Anyway, think of this as both good for you as well as a safari for plants!

Michael

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@brokensword Is your pond shaded?
With all those plants, don't you have a problem with over population?

I really do miss my Lilies! I'm thinking the fish only go after the tender new growth of the Lilies, so next Spring, I could try using crates! I could tip one over at the bottom of the pond, to reduce the depth, then stack another one on top to put the pot in, and cover it!.... or better yet I could set the pot right on top of the one tipped over, and tip a second crate over the pot...I imagine it would have to have large enough holes for the branches and buds to go through, but it should work right?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
gemma; my pond has various shade, meaning that as the sun moves east to west, each end of the pond gets shaded for a bit. The lilies still bloom, so I'm figuring I'm still getting them enough sunshine. I have my lilies all within 18" or so from the surface, either on a shelf or 'suspended' by trimmer twine. For the winter, I sink most to the bottom. And I do thin the plant herd sometimes, but it used to be mainly the floaters. Not this year as the fish are doing it for me. In the fall, I'll cut back the iris as I don't want them to get out of hand. I keep them either in the bog or in a pot. The 'specialty' iris I let go as they are not nearly as aggressive. I try to overwinter some of the plants so I don't have to totally go 'naked' once spring arrives. Like you, I have to wait until about the third week of May before I can get the more tender specimens into the pond.

My fish seem to go for the tender roots of the floaters (this year especially) and parrots feather when it moves from the stream into the pond proper. Then there's the monkey flower; it typically grows on the bank and as it gets heavy, sinks to the pond where it'll continue to grow--not this year as the fish have taken care of that, as well. Saved me the effort of having to trim it back (as I usually have to do). I also have some hornwort (oxygenator plant) growing and I can see they're keeping that trimmed. I guess what I'm saying is if you have enough plants, you won't miss some that get eaten and you'll still have the benefit of their growing/filtering.

I've not tried putting crates over any plants but would assume if there's enough room, that the lily should put up leaves, but it wouldn't be my first option. Give your fish something better/easier and I bet they'll leave your lilies alone. I haven't heard of too many on the forum that have had gf bother their lilies. Even my turtles are leaving them alone, so they too must be getting better snacks somewhere!

Michael

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
The bacteria that I introduced to my 1,400 gallon system came in a refridgerated bottle and was sold as live bacteria. It was quite expensive, but touted you can ad fish right away.
I already has 2 fishes in the pond and I'd been running the pumps, etc for about a week.
My numbers were all over the place. Ammonia level at 2.0 and high nitrite.
Fast forward to four days ago. I used the liquid, refridgerated bottle, poured right into my pump intake and the next day my numbers had changed.
They are nitrate and nitrite no trace. Strange, i though. No high nitrate? Ammonia under 《0.25. (The lowest on my test kit) and PH holding at 8.1.
Now, some of this was because my system was already cycling, but part of this would seem to be that bottle of live bacteria.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The bacteria that I introduced to my 1,400 gallon system came in a refridgerated bottle and was sold as live bacteria. It was quite expensive, but touted you can ad fish right away.
I already has 2 fishes in the pond and I'd been running the pumps, etc for about a week.
My numbers were all over the place. Ammonia level at 2.0 and high nitrite.
Fast forward to four days ago. I used the liquid, refridgerated bottle, poured right into my pump intake and the next day my numbers had changed.
They are nitrate and nitrite no trace. Ammonia under 《0.25. (The lowest on my test kit) and PH holding at 8.1

The Fritz-zyme liquid is one of the few true products that contains the live Nitrifying bacteria. As the man said: "It do work! Sho 'nuff!".

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
use koi clay it is safer and regular kitty litter is similar but not as pure .I also use zeolite to control ammonia and crushed oyster shells to hold ph stable

Ask a Question