Question about aqua soil

SE18

David V
Reaction score
Newwwbeee here again. Now that I've got my first plants planted (in containers in the water), I'm thinking, duh, why do they need to be in a container. Why not just fill the bottom of the water with soil, gravel etc and let the plants spread on their own.

I don't have fish and probably won't for a couple of years.

I imagine the only chore would be to suction everything out every couple years and replace.

Am I missing something here?

Much thanks.

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
when you decide to have fish, or want to clean it that soil and gravel will stink to high heaven. Even the containers the plants are in stink when you go to repot them.

ow you could do that and have a "natural" pond, might cause more algae. I had muck in one pond (while learning how to make ponds) and the algae would grow like a tree off the bottom of the pond. That stuff stunk when removing.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Other then the maintanance you mentioned, nothing wrong with it. But im no expert, I have just read about it. I was doing research on repotting my lillies and was reading up on cat litter. After some more research I learned that speedy dry does the same thing. Its all natural clay. Plus I have that in the garage. 40lb bag cost under $5 at Sams club. I think it was 3.88. I look on the bag and it even says great for plants. That would probably be your best bet but thats JMO.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
nice to know koidaddy will look for it. I have gone through a lot of walmart kitty litter, 25 lbs for around 2.50

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
addy1 said:
nice to know koidaddy will look for it. I have gone through a lot of walmart kitty litter, 25 lbs for around 2.50
It by the auto supply stuff.
When I first started ponding I bought a bag of the aqua soil from the pond section at the home depot. I had some left and its the same stuff. Im sure I paid 10X the price for it. If I rememder it was @$6 for 5lbs or somthing rediculus. Plus my lillies look alot better. I had them in pea grevel and they were a mess.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I refuse to buy stuff labeled for the pond, always more money lol.

I hope costco has it, I don't have a sams card.

SE18

David V
Reaction score
thanks; so you guys pot your plants in kitty litter. Funny thing but some indoor train modelers use kitty litter for ballast that the track rests on. I've also seen it used to sop up spilled gasoline (ask me how I know). I'll stick to pots for now.

Nice tip on saving money too. I found fittings and stuff for the plumbing in Lowe's plumbing section to be several times less expensive than in the pond section of my garden center

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use kitty litter and 1/4 cup of osmocote in the bottom. Over the summer I add lily tabs for some of the plants to keep them going. I do not have a huge fish load.

You just want to make sure it is pure kitty litter (red walmart bag) or the speedy dry koiguy talks of

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I can't recall if they only have the one kind of perfumed cat litter at Costco that I buy for my cats or another cheaper clay kind also. I will check also addy the next time I go. I wonder if they sell clay litter in the auto stores for less than Wally's brand? Somehow I think it would be more if they did and prolly the same exact stuff :lol:

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
j.w said:
I can't recall if they only have the one kind of perfumed cat litter at Costco that I buy for my cats or another cheaper clay kind also. I will check also addy the next time I go. I wonder if they sell clay litter in the auto stores for less than Wally's brand? Somehow I think it would be more if they did and prolly the same exact stuff :lol:

I am going to check the cat litter bulk price as well jw. I am now going to use it for my vegetable bog instead of the pea gravel thats in there now.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
j.w said:
I can't recall if they only have the one kind of perfumed cat litter at Costco that I buy for my cats or another cheaper clay kind also. I will check also addy the next time I go. I wonder if they sell clay litter in the auto stores for less than Wally's brand? Somehow I think it would be more if they did and prolly the same exact stuff :LOL:

the sams stuff was for cars, so costco just might have some in their auto section.

Ask a Question