Question about bio media

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
I want to add more bio media to my filter. I got some of the scrubbie pads along with some of the round mesh scrubbers. I will put them in mesh laundry bags to make for easier removal and cleaning. My question is would the scrubbie pads be more effective it I cut them into strips instead of leaving them whole or will it make a difference?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We have freinds in South Africa that use plasric milk containers cut into long strips and then bagged so it may well work , tell you what why not experiment a little have one bag as you bought the scrubby pads another with them cut into strips to see which is best.:)
You could even think about emplying the method of the South Africans and cut into strips lots of milk containers and test them out too, then report back to the forum with your findings infact it would make a great thread dont you think in asking folks what home made filter materials they use and the results everyone gets.? :cool:

Dave;)

Reaction score
Annie,

Just contemplating your idea and my first assumption would be that cutting them into strips (akin to making french fry shapes out of them) would increase the exposed surface area and that would be a positive advantage. However, the finer or smaller you cut up the pieces would begin to impose a finite limit to the advantage. As the pieces become smaller, they would fit together more tightly and reduce the advantage and thus start to trend the other direction because the shapes of the pieces and their sizes would then tend to "clump" together in a large mass which would be even less effective.

My opinion on this is this... If you cut them up in random sizes, some long and narrow and some wide and some in cubes, you might gain the best advantage as the individual pieces won't be able to pack into a large mass of uniform density. With the varied shapes and sizes, they will allow voids in between each piece which will be beneficial in the long run. There will be pockets where air bubbles can accumulate and break up the entire structure of the filter system into numerous mini filters.

So, if my theory on this is valid, I would cut the "scrubbies" and such into all different sizes and shapes and mix them all up in a bag in random order. In other words, I think your idea is on track and has merit, but I would take it further. Cut some pieces in round discs, some like long french fries, some like square brownies and so on. Then jumble them all up in your bag so they are placed randomly.

It is just a thought and if you admire it, give it a try and report back if it works well. Can't tell until you try it. Good luck! :)

Gordy

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Dave.. i do use blue poly furnace filter cut to fit, and cut in squares. plus the floor scrubber pad cut into squares. all different sizes and thicknesses. most between 2" and 4" . the furnace filters and floor scrubber pads work much like jap map or matala.

Ask a Question