question about bottom drain on DIY skippy style filter

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am planning to try and make another skippy type filter for my pond this summer. I want to use a rubbermaid water trough instead of the rubbermaid storage bin I am now using. After using the one we originally made I realize a few things I need to do different this time.

I want to use a more heavy duty container (which will be the stock tank/water trough) I want to be able to clean the filter without having to take all the filter media out and dumping the entire contents (which is how I have been doing it with the current filter, not fun...) My question is does the drain go on the bottom of the trough? Or can I use the drain that is already on the stock tank (which is located near the bottom but on the side of the tank)

Here are a few photos from the internet that I found that will help if I'm not explaining myself enough lol

bottom drain.jpg
rubbermaid trough.jpg

And last but not least I have to make sure that when I turn the pump off the water from the filter does not run back into the pond. Some how we missed that on the first one we made. Not exactly sure what to do about that....

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I am familiar with a check valve like you use with an air pump for an aquarium. Not sure about a check valve for pond use. I'm sure they must be different?
They prevent water from reversing flow due to gravity in a power loss situation. This is what you need. Any pond supply dealer will carry them or you can get a cheap one at one of the Big Box stores like Lowes or Home Depot.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am planning to try and make another skippy type filter for my pond this summer. I want to use a rubbermaid water trough instead of the rubbermaid storage bin I am now using. After using the one we originally made I realize a few things I need to do different this time.

I want to use a more heavy duty container (which will be the stock tank/water trough) I want to be able to clean the filter without having to take all the filter media out and dumping the entire contents (which is how I have been doing it with the current filter, not fun...) My question is does the drain go on the bottom of the trough? Or can I use the drain that is already on the stock tank (which is located near the bottom but on the side of the tank)

Here are a few photos from the internet that I found that will help if I'm not explaining myself enough lol

View attachment 78682 View attachment 78683

And last but not least I have to make sure that when I turn the pump off the water from the filter does not run back into the pond. Some how we missed that on the first one we made. Not exactly sure what to do about that....
I have 2 150gal. stock tank filters. I put the drains on the bottom as the side drain still leaves over an inch of water when drained. Depending on the size of the tank, I would use 2 drains for anything over 100gal. Made the mistake of only putting one drain on my first one and it takes forever to drain. The tank with 2 drains is empty in less than a minute.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well that's odd, I *thought* Mark posted on my thread and I came back to read it and comment and now it's gone......hmmm

Well either way after further discussion with my husband I am not building another Skippy filter. We decided on a premade store bought filter. I placed an order for a Matala Bio 10, hope I'm happy with it. (at least it was on sale plus I got another 10% off for new customer order)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Well that's odd, I *thought* Mark posted on my thread and I came back to read it and comment and now it's gone......hmmm

Well either way after further discussion with my husband I am not building another Skippy filter. We decided on a premade store bought filter. I placed an order for a Matala Bio 10, hope I'm happy with it. (at least it was on sale plus I got another 10% off for new customer order)
With our Vortex style filters Maria we invert a bend passing it through the bottom of the side wall of your filter , it can then be drained independantly of our system once the 4" bottom drain valve has been shut all the vortex style filtrs are connected top to bottom to to bottom until they return to the pond , is it this type your on about ?

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dave, I'm not exactly sure but this is the filter I ordered http://www.pondleader.com/Matala-BioSteps-10-Filters/Matala-BioSteps-10-Filters-p-545.html

It arrived yesterday and I was impressed by the size and the media that came with it. I hope once we have it set up and running that it continues to impress me ;)

Just waiting on the weather to break (and the snow to melt) can't wait to get out and get the pond up and going. We changed the clocks last night (spring ahead one hour) so it will be day light longer in the evening. Atleast we are moving in the right direction.

Ask a Question