Question about building a pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm thinking of building a pond in my backyard. I'm thinking of building it out of landscape timbers or railroad ties. It needs to be 3 feet above ground or more so my dogs don't get in it and hurt the fish or themselves. My question is if it's 3 foot + do I still need to dig down into the ground and if so how far? I live in northern Michigan so winter can be pretty cold. The size and shape of pond I'm thinking of building is about 1000 gallons, 7 foot on 2 sides the front is going to be 3 sides two short one longer in middle. From over head it would be diamond shaped. I'm also thinking of putting a viewing window in the longer of the 3 sides. winter I would pack foam board insulation into the opening, and the underlayment for the liner will be more foam board. I'm also wondering what kind of liner I should use I want on that will last but not break the bank. I know PVC isn't the best choice but I don't know about the other types.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1592953099554.gif
@lfbooth33

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome to the GPF!

I know nothing about building an above ground pond, so can't help you there. We do have a few members who have them, so hopefully they will chime in.

We've also had a few people share above ground with window ponds - maybe do a search and see if one of the threads show up.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hello! I have 2 partial above ponds. Mine are built from 2x12s. I would go with the railroad sleepers. Landscape timbers do not last! I would dig down a little at least to keep the liner from being pushed out between walls and ground.
Most important part of your pond is the liner- it holds your water. If you go with pvc or a cheap option, be prepared to replace it in a couple of years. 45mil EPDM

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Landscape timbers do not last!

Are you talking about pressurized wood timbers? Or just those decorative things you can buy to line your flower beds? We have a timber wall that's in perfect condition that was installed 30 years ago. Is that what you mean by "railroad ties"?

Just clarifying what you mean by the difference.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the responses. railroad ties are 7x9 8ish foot long timber they use under the metal rails for trains. I can get them from home depot in my area, and they are creosote treated. my neighbors used them to line their property line. The landscape timbers I was thinking of are 3x4 rounded edges 8 foot long cedar wood I was going to stain.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
A lot of members design ponds so their dogs, and even people, can go in their ponds. My dogs aren’t water lovers so don’t have that problem. What about fencing? I just have a picture in my mind of a frozen block of ice bulging at the walls and joints.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well to the issue of keeping dogs out I have an 60 pound shepherd and my 6 foot privacy fence barely keeps her contained lol. There are many wood built ponds I have seen on YouTube that are above ground with follow up videos month's or year later. From stacking 4x4s with 6 inch lag bolts to stud frame with osb and steel rebar hammered into the ground. Problem is that they are all southern states, so they don't have to worry about the cold weather as much. The problem isn't if my pond is strong enough it's that I want to be sure my fish will be safe over winter, and not freeze solid. I probably will have to give up the idea of my viewing window, I think it would be to weak when winter comes.

P.S. sorry it took me a few days to reply I'm camping just came back to house to check on my dogs and cats.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Used railroad ties are ones that the railroads have removed from service because the railroads have deemed them unsound. By the time the railroads are through with them, there's usually not too much left of them. Many, if not most, are either eroded, beginning to split, and/or are beginning to rot from the inside out. The hollow parts of them become homes for yellow jackets' and hornets' nests. Everywhere I've used them, I have had to come back far too soon and replace them.

Good quality pressure treated timbers that are rated for ground contact will serve you much better.

Ask a Question