JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
For those of you who have de-icers and air stones, I was curious, do you put the air stones directly under the de-icer, or do you place them in other areas? Is it personal preference, or are there any pros/cons to doing either? My assumption would be to put them near the de-icer, but since I'm new to this, I'm not really sure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Before I covered the pond I'd place them near the de-icer. In more recent years, we covered the pond and didn't use a de-icer.....the air stones were suspended in four spots around the pond's edge and the Pond Breather in the center of the pond.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Before I covered the pond I'd place them near the de-icer. In more recent years, we covered the pond and didn't use a de-icer.....the air stones were suspended in four spots around the pond's edge and the Pond Breather in the center of the pond.

What's the best way to suspend air stones?

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My aerator came with a styrofoam piece that I tie the tubing around to keep the air stone at 12". I have the tubing going over the board to keep it in the center of the pond. Good luck with your pond over this cold snap we are going to have.

1671734023912.png

I have the Laguna Aerator PT-1630 . I keep the motor outside under an overturned pot on the bench. My first one lasted 10 winters.

1671733724079.png

Last edited:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Good luck with your pond over this cold snap we are going to have.

I'm gonna need it. As long as I can keep things going until next Wednesday, I'll be happy. I got my de-icer and air stones today. The de-icer is in and working as advertised, but it's not a surface thaw-er, so I cant really get my pump out or my air stones in until the ice thaws with warmer temps. Starting next Wednesday, temps go up and we may get at least a few days in the mid 40's! So once that hits I hopefully should be able to get everything done. Until then, the bitter cold is going to be an issue.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ok... So... I woke up and the waterfall wasn't running. My guess is the hose froze up and hopefully a loose connection in the pond came undone. I'd hate to think my year old pump broke, but I knew it was a risk. Long story short, I went out in -7°F weather with a -21°F windchill and got the air stones in. I may try to suspend them, but that has to wait for warmer weather. They're just sitting on the bottom of my 2' shelf right now. I tried to get them up on a water Lily pot but I couldn't really tell.

If there are any other tips or things you all think I should know about, please feel free to let me know. Anything I should watch out for or be aware of?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
All I can say is - Hang in there! I remember one time in IL, during a sub-zero cold snap, I had a pipe freeze & crack. Heard a strange noise & noticed my side yard was a skating rink with water spraying out from the pipe. One of my finer "Oh, crap!" moments.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Can you sling part of the air hose on the side of the pond and use a rock to suspend it? Sorry about the water fall hose and your frigid trip to the pond !

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Good that you were able to get the air stone in. We hit -6 and my pond is totally iced over. So thankful for the pond breather (and sorry that you have lost yours).
I don't believe you are over stocked, if I remember, so a few days of no hole in the ice will be ok. When I just had the air stone and the pond would ice over, I would let the pond go for about a week and then I would open a hole using hot water. I never lost any fish with the short time that there was no opening. However, with my current fish situation I would probably try to get a hole in the ice sooner.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I didn't think to plug in my pond breathers or put heavy duty heaters in. I had tested the breathers earlier this fall and they both worked. Today, neither one was running! The one in the koi pond finally started but the goldfish pond that is half frozen over still won't work. Guessing the water in the tubing is frozen. I got a floating heater in so will see if the breather starts. -10 wind chill, first time we have had ice on the ponds in years.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
60 f coming this weekend all ice will poof pretty soon. Almost 50 Wednesday.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Such a weird feeling to not be thinking about my pond! It is completely frozen over and I have absolutely nothing running. I noted the sun thawing a small area and birds gathering for a drink.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Went outside today and the air stones aren't bubbling. One is slightly bubbling, the other isn't. I don't know what to do. :(

Ask a Question