Question about filter/pump size

Reaction score
I inherited a koi pond from the prev home owner but the pump is dead and i don't think there is a filter. I want to get it running before the winter. the pond itself is less than 100 gallons. however I am confused as to which filter/pump combo i should get. The old pump is a max flow 2400. Do I need to get the same one or is that overkill for such a small pond? I was kind confused about the gph. there is a small waterfall. I was looking at the laguna fllter/pump combo.. any ideas?

Thanks for the response.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum:) It is true your pond sounds too small for koi. Are you sure they are koi in the pond, or another type of fish? How many fish and are you fairly sure of the pond size? I ask these questions, as it will help us give you better responses.

Again, welcome! Kim

Reaction score
Hi guys. thanks. Yeah i am sure its koi. They are relatively small so there are about 20 or so in there now. The pump stopped working and the water level is low so i figured that i would try to save them. I am pretty sure that the pond is not much bigger than 100 gallons. I am just trying to buy a filter and a pump at this point so that i could save them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
For a pond this size a filter / pump combo might work, but not long term. You really will need a much bigger pond, especially if you plan on keeping 20 koi.....they will grow. Koi also require good filtration, as they produce a lot of waste. If you have an interest in ponding, maybe the pump / filter combo will buy you some time, while you learn more:) Kim

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Hi:
20 fish in a 100g pond is a lot of fish, unless they're very small.
To save the fish, I think the first thing I'd do is to top up the pond with treated/dechlorinated water. If you don't have a pump or filter, doing a water change is the next best thing. Also, I probably won't feed the fish for now.
Do you have any plants in the pond and what are the dimensions of it?
Can you post a pic of your setup? It would help.
daboneman911 said:
Hi guys. thanks. Yeah i am sure its koi. They are relatively small so there are about 20 or so in there now. The pump stopped working and the water level is low so i figured that i would try to save them. I am pretty sure that the pond is not much bigger than 100 gallons. I am just trying to buy a filter and a pump at this point so that i could save them.

Reaction score
Thanks guys. They are small based on the pictures that I have seen. They werent cared for so the pump burned out and the water level is pretty low. I figured that i would empty it out, clean it and then install the new pump and filter. based on the size and what i read, i think the max flo 2400 was a bit of overkill so i will get a smaller one (max flo 600) as well as a small filter. I will post pictures tomorrow.

Reaction score
If you want to keep any Koi in 100 gallons I would suggest a large filter. Maybe 2 of them. There are some good DIY filters. Check out the DIY section. Better and cheaper than what you can buy at the store

Reaction score
this is the pond. Again, I inherited this with my new house so I didn't build it. It just has koi in there and i would rather not see them die. So the plan is to clean out everything , add water along with the pump and filter. Since the pond itself is so small i will just use an underwater filter which I think will buy me enough time while i get the hang of the whole thing. Off the right, which is not visible in the pic is the waterfall setup.

I'm guessing i should just add water, or should i just remove everything to clean the bottom of the pond which is full of muck etc.

Attachments

• 2013-10-22 07.22.54.jpg
    2013-10-22 07.22.54.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 301
Reaction score
Nothing that I said indictated that i wasn't takin advice. And why can't I opt to just learn the dynamics anyways while they're small. They will get bigger, i know that. I will cross that bridge when it comes.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
The good news is that is not a 100g pond. It looks a bit bigger. What are the dimensions?
A quick fix right now would be to vacuum the bottom muck out, but don't scrub anything. That would kill any beneficial bacteria or algae that is left. And also remove all the debris and leaves off the top and around and top up the pond with water that doesn't have any chlorine in it.

Can you show us more pics including the waterfall?

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Forgot to say this...

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your acquisition of a fine pond. Also props to you for wanting to fix it up, restoring it to its former glory and saving the fish. Reading back, I apologize for the rude welcome we gave you.

I am sure that once its fixed up it will look excellent!

Where is Nassau and what kind of temperatures are you having now?

Reaction score
I will send the pics with the waterfall once I get home. Thanks for all the feedback. It would have defintely been way easier turn that pond into a fire pit. i'll say that much - especially reading up on all the different aspects involved. But i think it could be fun. I am actually on Nassau county Long Island. It's not as cool as its supposed to be this time of year, but it's getting there for sure. All the more reason why I wanted to take care of this before winter hit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I agree, your pond is bigger than 100 gallons :banana: .......this is good news! I started out with a small pond when we bought this house, grew to love it and have learned a lot in 9 years....we all start somewhere. Looking forward to seeing the waterfall pics. Kim

Ask a Question