Question about furnace filters for Skippy filter

Reaction score
Finally started building a skippy type stock filter, got some of those furnace filters by NaturalAir....the green biodegradable ones from HD. Read something about them breaking down and causing problems so now I'm worried and wondering if I should return them or give it a shot. Also, do I cut them into small pieces or lay them in flat. I'm also going to be adding some scrubbies and other stuff too on top of that. Thank you.

Reaction score
well not to sound silly but if they are biodegradable they are going to break down. I mean thats what biodegradable means. do you need to ask if you want this going on in your pond?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Country, I would take them back and get the non biodegradable ones. You can cut them or lay in whole layers. The idea is to have a lot of surface for the bacteria to grow on. I found some blue ones at our lowes that are non biodegradable.

The other things that work well is window screening, plastic fencing etc.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When I was getting the silt out of our water, I took the screening and left it in one piece, but crumpled it up, i.e. un rolled it and just crumpled it. Also had the quilt batting, but that stuff can be a pain to clean. The roll was 3 feet by 36 feet (I think lol) was around 9 dollars for it at home depot.

Reaction score
When I bought them, I didn't realize they were biodegradable, ugh. HD doesn't carry the blue filters, but Lowes' does. I will probably take them back and look for the blue instead....otherwise I will have to go to plan B whatever that is lol.

Reaction score
This is interesting because you seem to able to buy much more 'stuff' then we can here in the UK. What are furnace filters and window screening?, is it like a very fine mesh for use as a fly screen?

I have also looked and looked for the lighting screen stuff you guys use as a grid but can't - I have found media grids especially made to do the same job tho' for £5.99 about $10.

Reaction score
Mayfly, here is a link to the furnace filters I bought a Home Depot http://www.homedepot.com/Building-M...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

On the package, it says they are biodegradable, but I think the blue ones from the same maker that you can get from Lowes are made of different stuff. I'm assuming the window screening is the stuff for keeping flys out.... should be easy to find and probably cheap too.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Was wondering how many of these to order for 150gallon skippy and if it was a better buy then the material from SkippyStuff.

a foot is 12x12x12 = 1728 cubic inches
Each filter is 24x36x1 = 864
864/1728 = .5 cu feet

Skippystuff.com says we need 5 bags of 2.3 cu feet material or 11.5 cubic feet

That will take 23 filter @ aprox $8 or $184
Five bags of the SkippyStuff media is 5 @ $25 or $125

You may want to check the math as I am prone to errors.

I do not how they compare regarding filtration. But the price looks better and I was not looking forward to cutting them up.

EDIT: SkippStuff has $24 shipping charge which you would not have with the filters if picked up at the store. But then there is sales tax which is another issue

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
Mayfly said:
This is interesting because you seem to able to buy much more 'stuff' then we can here in the UK. What are furnace filters and window screening?, is it like a very fine mesh for use as a fly screen?

I have also looked and looked for the lighting screen stuff you guys use as a grid but can't - I have found media grids especially made to do the same job tho' for £5.99 about $10.

i used those too mayfly .. and i cant find the furnace filters here in the UK or matala which is a shame because i really wanted to use it, shipping it over here is too expensive :(

Reaction score
HTH said:
Was wondering how many of these to order for 150gallon skippy and if it was a better buy then the material from SkippyStuff.

a foot is 12x12x12 = 1728 cubic inches
Each filter is 24x36x1 = 864
864/1728 = .5 cu feet

Skippystuff.com says we need 5 bags of 2.3 cu feet material or 11.5 cubic feet

That will take 23 filter @ aprox $8 or $184
Five bags of the SkippyStuff media is 5 @ $25 or $125

You may want to check the math as I am prone to errors.

I do not how they compare regarding filtration. But the price looks better and I was not looking forward to cutting them up.

EDIT: SkippStuff has $24 shipping charge which you would not have with the filters if picked up at the store. But then there is sales tax which is another issue

I am seriously considering getting some of the Skippystuff media. I thought for the amount you get, the price was reasonable compared with other stuff. I was also thinking I could cut up some of the poly irrigation hose I already have into small pieces.....or the bacti twist sounds like good stuff or......too many choices lol. Just want to use something that works, will last and is safe for the fish.

Reaction score
Strapping material for shipping can be bought off ebay by the box. It's very inexpensive. Comes in black and is textured. Put it in nyon laundry bags purchased at the dollar store. They will lift out and be easy to clean if needed.

Reaction score
stroppy said:
i used those too mayfly .. and i cant find the furnace filters here in the UK or matala which is a shame because i really wanted to use it, shipping it over here is too expensive :confused:

Stroppy I assume the nearest thing we have to Matala is Jap Matting, which of course is fairly expensive - I can't even google matala it keeps wanting to add a n for Matalan!! :)

Do the grids work OK was looking at getting a couple.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
CountryPond said:
I am seriously considering getting some of the Skippystuff media. I thought for the amount you get, the price was reasonable compared with other stuff. I was also thinking I could cut up some of the poly irrigation hose I already have into small pieces.....or the bacti twist sounds like good stuff or......too many choices lol. Just want to use something that works, will last and is safe for the fish.

Everything you mentioned will work. The SkippyStuff and similar media should carry a larger bio load but on the other hand solid media is easier to clean.

I have some DIY media made from short sections of 1/2 thin wall PVC. It works but is takes quite a while to make just a gallon of the stuff and density is poor.

Ask a Question