QUESTION ABOUT LENGTH OF TUBING FOR AIR PUMP

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Gosh, I know what I want to say, but can't think of how to say it......

Do you get diminished air flow from an aerator pump as you lengthen the piece of air line tubing? I know there are some that are designed as "deep water" pumps, so guess they have more pressure to handle that, but I'm just talking about a short piece of air line tubing vs a longer piece.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
TM, over extreme lengths I would say that it is possible to lose some effectiveness. Something like a battery powered pump which has a small very small diaphragm would more likely lose some pressure than a pump that can pump higher pressure like a piston drive pump or dual diaphragm pond pump.

Reaction score
I have a petsmart brand pump rated for a 20 gallon tank that I use in my qt tote. It has about 4 or 5 feet of tubing. I weight the air stone end with lead to keep it on the bottom of the tote. Plenty of air for my 15 gallon qt.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, don't have one yet. But the plan is to aerate my QT once it's up, but want to keep the pump under cover of the back porch (that's also where the nearest outlet is located). Guessing the pump will be 10-20 feet away, and just wondering if the air would "go" that far.

Reaction score
Maggie, you can sit the air pump beside the pond. sit it on top a concrete block, then put an overturned water tight container over it. Cheaper than airline tubing.

Ask a Question