Question about Matala pads -- black [open density]

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Anyone have experience with this density? I've used the blue and the green ones, but wanting to try something with a more "open" density and was wondering how STIFF the black ones were. Wondering if pieces of a black pad would conform to the inside of a 5 gal. bucket......

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry TM, I just bought a matala biofilter for the pond but my hubby set it up for me. I did look at the pads that came with it and was pretty impressed by how sturdy they were and how thick they were. I can't say that the black ones felt any different than the blue and green though, I thought they were all pretty stiff.

What are you wanting to do with them?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I never used there flat pads but the prefilters I have by them are very stiff but they are round. I would not think they would bend that nicely in a 5 gallon bucket. Mine has the green outside and the black inside.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I bought a black one to wrap the outside of a 5 gallon bucket to put over the intake of my 6800 gph pump, 3 inch pipe. It was drawing in fry, plants getting stuck to my other covering. It did bend around the bucket, just keep bending it, cuts real easy with scissors. So far working great!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought a black one to wrap the outside of a 5 gallon bucket to put over the intake of my 6800 gph pump, 3 inch pipe. It was drawing in fry, plants getting stuck to my other covering. It did bend around the bucket, just keep bending it, cuts real easy with scissors. So far working great!

I wonder if we are talking about the same matala pad? The ones I got with my matala biosteps filter are too thick to cut with scissors and pretty darn stiff.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
too thick to cut with scissors and pretty darn stiff.
Almost 2 inches, guessing since they are down by the pond, very stiff, a very good pair of workshop type scissors. I also used metal snips, an old antique pair my dad had, straight cut.
The rolling around the bucket just took time, kept over bending it to get it to form.

Ask a Question