Question about not feeding fish during winter

Reaction score
I believe this to be a "Winterizing Your Pond" quality question but, if not, let me know and I will repost in the directed group...

Last Winter, once the water temperatures dropped to the threshold level, I stopped feeding my Koi. This Summer I have added an albino catfish so this question arises - will the catfish be OK when I stop feeding this Winter?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
As long as the 10c temerature has been passed on the down wards direction then you must stop feeding your koi , your catfish will have to have taken on enough feed this summer to biuld up its reserves that will take it through the winter.
All fish will slow down their metabolic rate and be heading towards a torpid state from 10c downwards and as such you should only be tempeted to feed again in the spring when the temperature has been stable above 10c for at least two weeks prior to restarting again

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I use 55 degrees as my threshold to stop feeding and I go to a fall/spring diet way before then. The catfish will find food in the pond if they want it. They don't need any of the store bought kind!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I agree, the catfish will be fine, I've over wintered my Koi and Albino cats together before and they do ok, get a little skinny but the plump up and get fat quick when spring comes back around. If you are border line of the threshold and know where the catfish lives you can put a sinking pellet wafer down near his hole, they WILL and Can eat in winter unlike Koi.

Reaction score
I agree, the catfish will be fine, I've over wintered my Koi and Albino cats together before and they do ok, get a little skinny but the plump up and get fat quick when spring comes back around. If you are border line of the threshold and know where the catfish lives you can put a sinking pellet wafer down near his hole, they WILL and Can eat in winter unlike Koi.

good confirmation - thanks!

Ask a Question