Question about pond volume/depth

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If I'm understanding gas exchange and water circulation/oxygenation correctly digging deeper is not necessarily a good thing, I know it has to do with surface area, so my question is: is there a surface area to depth ratio formula? I really don't want to dig too deep trying to increase volume and end up creating a bigger issue

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
20 sq. feet of surface area to 1' of depth?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks @MitchM , I don't even have to do the math to see that I'm pretty safe going down 4'!
...lol unless you're joking

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
No I'm not joking.:)
That's from a Meyer Jordan post a year or 2 ago.
I remembered he discussed it at sometime.
Meyer was really smart. I didn't realize he wasn't still with us until the other day. Sad. I guess I'm safe at an average of 3 ft depth and about 140 Sf of surface area. I never knew there was any type of formula for that but always valued surface area with any pond I had. However I'm sure if someone has lots of O2 pumped in the pond you could go deeper. I saw a pond one time that was really deep.. I think about 15 ft. The owner raised high quality Koi and he wanted to keep the water cool so they wouldn't hurt themselves spawning.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
No I'm not joking.:)
That's from a Meyer Jordan post a year or 2 ago.
I remembered he discussed it at sometime.
Lol you're one of those people I never know if you're serious or if you're joking!
As for Meyer, he lives on through all of us! Every time we think, mention, remember him, he is close to us! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
As far as volume of Water goes...before you fill your new pond, get one of those water counters you connect to your hose and you'll know exactly how much water you're dealing with. It's great to know your volume for many reasons.
They are very cheap to buy. I have one I bought on Amazon that connects to the end of my hose. It's digital and I think it was maybe $10-$20. We'll worth it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Gemma That’s an excellent question! @MitchM (Meyer) for the info!
Thanks and whew! I'm glad it went well, I was debating whether or not to even ask this question,for fear no one would understand what I was saying

As far as volume of Water goes...before you fill your new pond, get one of those water counters you connect to your hose and you'll know exactly how much water you're dealing with. It's great to know your volume for many reasons.
They are very cheap to buy. I have one I bought on Amazon that connects to the end of my hose. It's digital and I think it was maybe $10-$20. We'll worth it.
Yup, our supplier is going to lend us his!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I have a raised wooden hexagonal pond 175 gallons 2 Koi 3” and 1 goldfish 3 shubunkins. Planted with yellow flag iris, bullrushes, purple bearded Iris and a bundle of floating plants. When the sun shines 3/4 of the pond is shaded. It has a hozelock ecopower+ 6000 with uvc and waterfall return.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have a raised wooden hexagonal pond 175 gallons 2 Koi 3” and 1 goldfish 3 shubunkins. Planted with yellow flag iris, bullrushes, purple bearded Iris and a bundle of floating plants. When the sun shines 3/4 of the pond is shaded. It has a hozelock ecopower+ 6000 with uvc and waterfall return.
Wow! Very old thread!
It would be best if you started your own new thread and introduced yourself.

You made a statement and a good description of your pond, which is great.

If there is something you need help with, just ask, but start a new thread.

Ask a Question