Question about rock weight on top of a waterfall

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Hi Folks,

In the middle of a rebuild and I'm struggling to find the proper topping to disguise the waterfalls on top.

What I have now:

20160804_210018_zpslkg8rb9c.jpg

Of course the color is all wrong against the stone I already have in place. I'd like to add more stone on top but I'm a little worried about the weight.

The waterfall is just sitting on a bed of gravel. How much rock weight could I add before it begins to impact the waterfall itself as far as sinking goes?

Here is the beast. Its 32 inches across and very durable.

20160731_140804_zpsqil2wjco.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Ooooo! Did you get your kit from The Pond Digger? I know he uses Helix equipment. I was watching all his videos. Have you seen them? If you go on youtube, he has a series of tutorials on How To Build a Fish Pond. The segment on rockwork is helpful and interesting. As I recall, the rocks he placed around the waterfall are just a tad higher than the fall basin. That way, the weight of the topping stone is actually supported by surrounding rocks, rather than by the plastic of the fall itself.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice waterfall! I have done the same put rocks higher than the tub and the rocks support the top rock.

The dirt below the gravel is the weak spot, if undisturbed it should be fine supporting rock weight. If dug up and put back it might sink some and over time you might need to rearrange.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Ooooo! Did you get your kit from The Pond Digger? I know he uses Helix equipment. I was watching all his videos. Have you seen them? If you go on youtube, he has a series of tutorials on How To Build a Fish Pond. The segment on rockwork is helpful and interesting. As I recall, the rocks he placed around the waterfall are just a tad higher than the fall basin. That way, the weight of the topping stone is actually supported by surrounding rocks, rather than by the plastic of the fall itself.

Yes I did. :)

And Eric was extremely nice to answer all my questions about the unit after I bought it. He's good people :)

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
As others have said, support the weight of the cover stone with other rock.
I don't know why other manufacturers have not followed the lead of EasyPro and offered grates that fit inside these biofall units, They work great.
C7469.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Hmmmm. I wonder if a person could rig up a grate like that, using something else?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Can you get them separately in different sizes? To work in other brands? I was thinking if someone had a waterfall already, that was of a different shape and size, maybe you'd need to try to copy it in someway, to fit what you have. But if they make them to fit other brands, that would be ideal!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Can you get them separately in different sizes? To work in other brands? I was thinking if someone had a waterfall already, that was of a different shape and size, maybe you'd need to try to copy it in someway, to fit what you have. But if they make them to fit other brands, that would be ideal!

No. Unfortunately only for their biofall units.
This type of heavy duty grating is available in a larger size that could possibly be modified.

http://www.watergarden.org/Pond-Sup.../Grate-for-Pond-less-Features?partner=froogle

Ask a Question