Question about running pond through the winter..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
This will be the first winter with my pond. My pond is approximately 3.5 feet deep pretty much all around. Its approx 23ftx18ft in circumference. My waterfall is pretty high and the water output through the biofalls is considerable. I have 4 large Koi and 5 small Israeli Commets. My question is can I run the biofalls all winter long? I live in northern Jersey. My pump will be way below the freezing mark and the falls will keep the water full of oxygen. What is the opinion on this? I would take in my Pondmaster pump and filter but keep the Biofalls running. Any input will be appreciated

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If this winter is like last winter it may be hard to do .I had my pond heater going but had to turn off pump to the waterfall and I am 15 minutes from NC .Bio load dies at a certain temp.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
If this winter is like last winter it may be hard to do .I had my pond heater going but had to turn off pump to the waterfall and I am 15 minutes from NC .Bio load dies at a certain temp.

What is bio load? Does that mean the good bacteria gets killed off when it gets too cold? My concern isnt the bacteria. My concern is the extreme cold water being bad for the pump or I heard the waterfall will make the water too cold

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I live in Cincinnati and leave my pumps in the skimmer, but don't run them. I do run an aerator and de - icer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Northern Illinois pond here - ran our falls all winter long. We couldn't see running water, but we could hear it! The pond was fine, the pump was fine, the fish were great! We plan to run all winter from now on.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
If you keep it running make sure you pay attention to any ice build up. Water could flow the wrong way due to ice build up and run out of the pond and drain it. I keep mine running late into the season late december then disconnect my skimmer pump and bio pumps and lower them into the pond. I do keep air pumps going the entire winter. I really enjoyed the running water with snow and ice on the stream. My stream is very shallow so ice damming can be a problem with heavy snowfall and freezing temps so I choose to shut it down.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
RobAmy makes a very important point - the design of your pond will determine whether it's wise to run all winter. Given the right circumstances it is indeed possible, but you may have design elements that will give you issues all winter long that make it not worth the worry and extra work. Adding water to your pond in the dead of winter won't be an enjoyable pond moment!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep good bacteria dies out and the temp .dies at is up for debate .I was told by ponddigger that it will start to die at 40 degrees water temp .but others say less temp. and all depends on your pond depth and how much sun your filter gets .My filters are insulated under and around them and then a liner on top and then my filter tank goes inside and this way if the filter ever leaks it all runs back in the pond .Even my hose for my pumps run inside my filters and up so if anything happens they run back inside the pond also .I just wing it .:)does not matter if bio is dead it still helps keep the water clear .oh plus my pond gets ground heat since it is not far from my septic tank

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
This may help you go half way to prepping your pond for those cold winter months ahead we are lucky we run a large filter system that is in a fully insulated wooden framed filter housing with Policarbonate roofing sheets as its roof , we also covber our pond with policarbonate roofing sheets as a precaution too:-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/prepping-your-pond-for-the-winter.12870/

However unlike others we UK koi keepers keep the maintenance levels going throughout the winter months and also do a water change each time using the trickle meathod where the heat lft in the pond warms the trickle of water going into the pond its really a bit of a fine art and you also need a dechlorination filter :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/winter-and-pond-maintenance.10594/

Hope this helps you some

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
You can heat your water. I have designed and used several systems in the past. Solar with a spa back up works the best for your area. Kinda pricey, but you won't have to run out to break the ice.
If you just heat for a trickle you use a small circulating pump and run it through a solar coil, the bigger the coil the hotter the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You can heat your water. I have designed and used several systems in the past. Solar with a spa back up works the best for your area. Kinda pricey, but you won't have to run out to break the ice.
If you just heat for a trickle you use a small circulating pump and run it through a solar coil, the bigger the coil the hotter the water.
Steve you can buy heaters for koi ponds they are 1kw, 3kw, 5kw, we dont bother prefaring instead to use insulation around the pond and filter housing and use Policarbonate roofing sheets to cover the pond ours never goes bellow 7c even at -15c

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a 150 watt one and it has a sensor that built in that turns it on when the water turns a certain temp .You may need 2 of them and bigger watts .But remember the more they run the more the electric bill goes up .

Reaction score
Steve you can buy heaters for koi ponds they are 1kw, 3kw, 5kw, we dont bother prefaring instead to use insulation around the pond and filter housing and use Policarbonate roofing sheets to cover the pond ours never goes bellow 7c even at -15c

Dave

I am thinking about covering my pond this Winter. It is about 8' by 9'. How much of an open space to you leave at the top to allow for oxygen and gas exchange. I wonder if the ground would be warm enough to keep my pond from freezing over if I did not run a heater of any sort. My pond goes over 4' into the ground. I assume you use the clear material so that Sunlight can get through the the pond to heat it and to provide light for the algae to perform photosynthesis?

Ask a Question