Question about Showcase / Discussion / Overview section

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Ian I am confused about the pond showcase section. What is the purpose of this topic, or does it even have a “purpose”? Reason I’m asking has more to do with my confusion than anything else, but lately it seems like [new] members are starting topic lines with something like “This is for the purpose of discussing bogs,” or “Of discussing so and so’s question about such and such.” The topics sort of don’t go anywhere because they aren’t in a topic dedicated to a particular topic — just members asking “what do you want to discus?” Or “to discuss my pond...” but there are no pics of reference. I’m sorry, I know that probably doesn’t make sense.

I always thought that the showcase area was a place for members to “showcase” their ponds, pond builds, lovely gardens, etc. kind of like a photo album. They could post pictures there so folks wouldn’t have to go back through a multitude of posts, looking for specific pics.

The impression I get is that maybe newbies don’t know what it’s for, and maybe go there in way of an introduction....? Except that often, these threads will be repeats of another topic already covered.

I guess folks can use it for anything they want, but I get confused when they are “starting a discussion” over something that already has a discussion in progress via a topic thread.

Is there a way to guide them back to a regular topic without coming across like a forum-Nazi?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I just noticed that also and made a comment to a new member that there was no photo when I clicked on the link they provided but maybe you are talking about something different.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just noticed that also and made a comment to a new member that there was no photo when I clicked on the link they provided but maybe you are talking about something different.
We are talking about the same thing, that’s an example. I’ve been noticing this for a few months.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I tried to start a showcase thread last fall the we built our bog, but honestly could't figure it out! I ended up just posting in construction .

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yep, it is a little confusing and I'll see what I can do to improve things. The showcase section is intended as somewhere that people can have their own entry to showcase their pond, add pictures and info and be able to always edit it. There's an automatically generated discussion thread (which is what used to say "This thread is for the general discussion of the..." - I've updated this now to clarify) - this is linked to the showcase entry so people can chat about it there :).

There's a new forum update coming out in a month or two, so I'll overhaul the showcase system then to take this feedback in to account.

In the meantime, I'd be interested to hear what you think of the Showcase system if you guys try and create an entry for your own pond(s)?

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I enjoy the showcase section of the forum when it addresses pictures of people's ponds and their construction. I like that I can find these items quickly without looking through the many threads.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
@Ian I am confused about the pond showcase section. What is the purpose of this topic, or does it even have a “purpose”? Reason I’m asking has more to do with my confusion than anything else, but lately it seems like [new] members are starting topic lines with something like “This is for the purpose of discussing bogs,” or “Of discussing so and so’s question about such and such.” The topics sort of don’t go anywhere because they aren’t in a topic dedicated to a particular topic — just members asking “what do you want to discus?” Or “to discuss my pond...” but there are no pics of reference. I’m sorry, I know that probably doesn’t make sense.

I always thought that the showcase area was a place for members to “showcase” their ponds, pond builds, lovely gardens, etc. kind of like a photo album. They could post pictures there so folks wouldn’t have to go back through a multitude of posts, looking for specific pics.

The impression I get is that maybe newbies don’t know what it’s for, and maybe go there in way of an introduction....? Except that often, these threads will be repeats of another topic already covered.

I guess folks can use it for anything they want, but I get confused when they are “starting a discussion” over something that already has a discussion in progress via a topic thread.

Is there a way to guide them back to a regular topic without coming across like a forum-Nazi?
Okay okay, if O think I know what your asking, at the top of the discussion page there is a second tab called overview that if you click on it it has a preview of their pond with some pictures, hope that helps!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Okay okay, if O think I know what your asking, at the top of the discussion page there is a second tab called overview that if you click on it it has a preview of their pond with some pictures, hope that helps!
Thank you, but..... That’s not the issue. Before you joined, we were having members, mostly newbies, who were using this topic to “start a conversation,” but with no pics or references — just the statement, “This spot is for the discussion of....”. Several of us were confused because, yes, we thought the topic was for showcasing one’s ponds.

Most of the time, these were blind “discussions “ that were titled the same as another topic elsewhere. For example (and I’m making this one up), someone starts a thread about “How do I keep my pond from freezing?” The thread gets responses. It’s a valid thread. Then, out of nowhere, either the same person or someone else starts a ”discussion” titled, “How do I keep my pond from freezing?” It’s posted in the “showcase” topic, but just that — no pictures, no explanation, no description.

The prevailing thought is that newbies who come here are uncertain how this topic works. But thank you for your response!

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Thank you, but..... That’s not the issue. Before you joined, we were having members, mostly newbies, who were using this topic to “start a conversation,” but with no pics or references — just the statement, “This spot is for the discussion of....”. Several of us were confused because, yes, we thought the topic was for showcasing one’s ponds.

Most of the time, these were blind “discussions “ that were titled the same as another topic elsewhere. For example (and I’m making this one up), someone starts a thread about “How do I keep my pond from freezing?” The thread gets responses. It’s a valid thread. Then, out of nowhere, either the same person or someone else starts a ”discussion” titled, “How do I keep my pond from freezing?” It’s posted in the “showcase” topic, but just that — no pictures, no explanation, no description.

The prevailing thought is that newbies who come here are uncertain how this topic works. But thank you for your response!
OH okay! I hope I am not one of those newbiews.........

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I tried to start a showcase thread last fall the we built our bog, but honestly could't figure it out! I ended up just posting in construction .
I'm having this issue. I would like to create a showcase of my second pond, but I got confused why it asks where I want to put it?
The only option given is: "Garden Pond" ... I stopped because I wasn't sure if I was creating a showcase or just a thread
Also I wondered if when creating a showcase we still have the option to save without making it public ?

Ask a Question