Question about solar pumps

Reaction score
Country
United States
I should probably be putting this in the intro section, but it IS a newbie question. . .

Anyway, I've got a 40 gallon breeder tank that I've been using as a sort-of pond. It's mostly just an experiment to keep some plants, with a half dozen white cloud minnows to (hopefully) keep mosquitoes from breeding like mad in it. Unfortunately it is constantly green in the summer, as I've currently got no filtration on it. My dad (yes, I'm unfortunately one of those stereotypical millennials who hasn't found a proper job yet. . . ) doesn't want me running electricity to it, and honestly there are no outlets near it anyway. I've been putting some thought into getting a solar pump for it, and just upgrading it to a plywood frame pond so I can build a bog filter on the side. Using these two sites as guidance: http://www.natures-water.com/education_information/projects/above_ground_pond/index.htm https://nelsonwatergardens.com/gravel-bog-filter-construction/

I reckon the water movement will do some good towards making it cleaner, so will the extra plants. Plus, hey, since I wanted it as a plant garden, it'd be an added bonus!

Would any of the littler pump kits (not looking to spend thousands on this) like this one https://www.amazon.com/Solariver-Solar-Water-Pump-Kit/dp/B01F4MKBBG?th=1 work for this sort of project? I doubt it needs to run overnight, since I'm not using it as a massive overstocked koi pond or anything, but I'm sure the sectioned off "bog" would benefit from having some sort of movement during the day, instead of hoping passive water movement takes care of it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have not used solar pumps but it sounds like you have a plan in place. Post some pictures of your set up, it helps for us to visualize what you are talking about.

Welcome to our forum!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1589669621492.gif
@Gilraen

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for the welcomes!

This is what I've got now. Took that before summer hit, and it got all green again. The cinder block was there for some potted dwarf papyrus, but it crashed pretty early on. Now I've just got some rotala in the pot. I was thinking something like the drawing for an upgrade. It'd be easiest if I did it the way the person in the link did with the dimensions being 8x4x2, so I'd need a shelf of some sort for the bog. I could probably find some sort of container big enough, and just drill some holes in it. Passive water pressure on both sides shouldn't bow plastic, and then I'd only need to find something to hold it up. The spot the tank is in now would fit that size without any problem, with the only potential issue runoff from the roof when it rains. I figure the solar pump could be on one end, push the water towards the mini-bog, and that could let the water back into that side of the tank.

Attachments

• outdoor.jpg
    outdoor.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 91
  • plan.jpg
    plan.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 89
Reaction score
Country
United States
Actually, on second thought with regard to building, could I do cinder blocks dry stacked? It'd only be 24" tall, and I live in the middle of Florida, so there's no chance of it freezing. Probably be a lot easier on the wallet than buying all the hardware to go with the other idea.

Wait, scratch that. I was thinking I'd have to go with the same dimensions as the log one. If I did what the smaller smartpond liner at Lowe's suggests, I'd have 3x6x1.5 feet. I obviously can't really do 18" with blocks that are 8" deep, but two would give me the 16" of height my tank is already at. I'd need to play with the outside dimensions some to get something where I could use whole blocks, but with only 16", would I have to fill, or could I just leave that dry?

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you can get a dc powered pump and get the solar kit from harbor freight to power it .The one solar kit is like 149 dollars and with a battery back up about 180 dollars and pumps are not expensive

Reaction score
Country
United States
Would I have to chop up the wiring and redo a lot of it? Most of the kits look like they don't have standard wall outlet plugs.

A maxijet 1200 pump only uses 20 watts, the smaller ones less than that. Harbor Freight (goodness! I didn't know they had solar kits!) has one for about $65 that puts out up to 25 watts. That should work fine for the powerhead, right? Most of the pumps I've seen that have batteries on them say they only run them for around 4 hours overnight. Is that also the case with a fully charged car/marine type battery?

I'm assuming I'll need to protect that sort of wiring from the weather, since it wasn't originally made for outdoor use, right?

And of course opinions on if 2-3 cinder blocks in height would need some sort of bracing (I could probably do sand/rebar, but nothing permanent, and I'd prefer to not have to do that much, honestly.) to stay in place in a warm state are still welcome. :)

Thank you again for the help!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
that is why you should get a inverter and you can use standard plug .The lightbulbs that come with the kit are great .I use them in my shed .My laguna pump use less .I cannot remember wattage on the watt tester but it is on my pond build on here .I want to mount my solar panels but need someone here to build a light weight stand .If I make it out of wood it would be to heavy for me to move . I am waiting to see if max kendall lumber and metal can do one when they put the side door in my shed .But I can not get the mobile home door at habitat for humanity ,it is only 10 dollars there but if I buy a new one it is almost 200 dollars .I want a door that opens out instead of taking up room inside my shed

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
For the wire protector I used sump pump hose so I do not hit it with my trimmer

Ask a Question