Question about the filter I have.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
http://www.pondmaster.com/Store/products/danner/PID-02211.aspx

This is the filter system im using I have two one on a 750 gallon per hour pump and and another on an 1650 gallon an hour pump which is connected to a skimmer. My question is before I was always sucking water directly from the pond and pumping it through the filter back into the pond. It seems in the directions for this filter that im supposed to be sucking water through the filter into the pump then back into the water.

Does it make a difference whether im sucking water from the pond and filtering it through the filter or should I be sucking through the filter and back into the pond? Iv been having clarity issues even tho i have a uv filter and now im adding a second bio filter. My pond does get full sun all day so I know it will be hard to keep on top of the algae.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We have a bottom drain on our pond and the pump itself is situated after the four filters just prior to going back into the pond so we suck it through the filters by an inline or dry filter.
Have you bought an in water pump and want to push the water up through your filters ?.
When was the last time you did filter maintenance this could be your water quallity issue or your UV-C bulb may well need replacing

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
not sure about your filter system as stats on it say small to medium ponds but does not state gallons of water .So it could mean it is for ponds under a thousand gallons .Remember just because your pumps say 750 gph they are not that after they started pumping up .Like I have a 1000 gph pump and after 6 ft of hose I only get get around 600 gph and that is through a 1 1/2 inch hose by water tester. I use a water tester that they left behind when they installed my well pump .You may need at least 1 bigger pump .I have 2 pumps 1 is 2900 gph and had to change out the 1 thousand gph to a 2400 gph and that is on a 3900 gallon pond .No skimmer no uv and no bottom drain on my pond .I just use a swimming pool net every day

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
My pond is just under 2000 gallons probably about 1800. Both my pumps are submersible and sit on lil shelf about half way down in my pond. The filters have been replaced as of yesterday and I clean the filter media at least once a week, the 1650 gph pump funnels water through the skimmer which has pre filter and then pumps through the pump through the filter listed above. My second pump which is 750gph pump intakes water through a bio filter goes through the pump and then through my UV filter (the bulb is still on and working fine) and then goes through my makeshift waterfall back into the pond.

I also dont have a bottom drain in my pond just the filter systems I have in place and I did add a Pleco bottom dweller last week to help. Right now I have 5 sarassa goldfish in it and 1 pleco.

Im not sure if its because it gets full sun that I cannot seem to keep the water from greening up on me. My fish seem happy and I test the water and everything is great. I just want to be able to enjoy seeing them in their environment. Here lately I have had a lot of kudzu growing around my pond which i have been draping the vines into the pond and around it to help with shading.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
dr foster and smith has a pump calculation list how to select a pond pump .Elbows and turns and restrictions to water flow slow water down .They have lots of great info on there pond stuff that might help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Well iv changed the way my pumps circulate. I now use the bigger 1650gph cobalt cascade 6000 to suck water through my skimmer/pre filter then through the UV Lamp which is supposed to support up to pond sizes of 2000 gallons, then from the UV lamp to my waterfall all which is about 6 feet of travel space not much. Hopefully now Ill triple the amount of water traveling through the UV PUMP. My older danner 750 mag drive pump is now taking water in through my biofilter above and exporting water through another bio filter of the same caliber. Ill try this setup for a few weeks and see what it does.

Before I had the danner 750 hooked up intaking water directly from the pond then through my uv filter and to my waterfall. So after hose travel time was probably pushing maybe 400-500 gallons an hour through the UV filter now I should be pushing at least 1200 if not more. Hoping this will clear up my algae bloom..

I have also ordered 15 dwarf water lettuce plants to help shade.

Reaction score
With a small filter like that you are better off pulling water through it. It is more like a prefilter. Otherwise your pump sucks in the debris and chops is up a bit first, making it more likely to pass through the filter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
This is what my pond looks like right now please excuse the mess of hoses normally they are buried and hidden but iv been re organizing and structuring. These are a few of my lil guys who are not camera shy hopefully I can clear up the water soon so I can see all of my little guys!

2014-05-17_19-28-48_364.jpg
2014-05-17_19-29-10_9.jpg
2014-05-17_19-29-18_993.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
It might be helpful to add more movement and aeration to your pond. Consider an air pump with air stones.

Ask a Question