Question about the frogs & the turtle

Reaction score
Dear all ,
I just want to ask if I keep a big turtle in my pond , do she will eat my water lilies ? and the pond plants ?
And about the frogs do they cause a dirty water in the or it will be ok and normal !?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
In the US, all answers would be yes, at least to some extent. Being your in unfamilar territory and not know what kind of "Large" turtle you are considering it would be hard to give a defenite answer. IMO, though, Yes, to all above except being OK.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Frogs pee and poop just like fish, so in a way they cause dirty water, they are part of the pond, at least for me. I have tons of frogs, tadpoles and fish (no turtles) the water stays fine, the fish are healthy.

No turtle though

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Red Eared Sliders will nibble on plants, and will also eat your fish! Ducks produce large amounts of excrement, which can overpower any filter on your pond, leading to the death of your fish. By the way, ducks also eat plants AND fish!
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Turtles have a fondness for eating waterlily stems that their snipping beak can snip, particularly vulnerable are young stems on new crowns or tubers, which can destroy new plants. Mud turtles are just about the only turtle I know of that don't bother lilies

A large sneaky snapping turtle will find a basket, loaf under the lily pads until all the stems are gone...

Regards, andy
http://www.flickr.co...s/21940871@N06/
http://swglist.wordpress.com/

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
I have turttles (Red Sliders)
And yes they eat the lillys and other plants. Thats why I don't have lillys anymore.
Also the turrltes will climb up on the plants to sun there selves so when picking plants you need to pick strong plants.
And lillys are not strong to that effect.

Ruben M,

Reaction score
Ohh I want to keep a turtle I like it , but I want my plants also :/ any way thanks friends for your help thanks a lot

Ask a Question