Question about water quality (and bubbles on pond) stats and pics includsd

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys! Have a question about my water quality. Pond is old (10ish years) but never had fish in it. About 500 gallons. Moved in last year and put 8 feeder goldfish in it and to my surprise have not lost a fish. This year I decided to put 2 shabukins to add a little variety and they all seem to be loving life. APM kit has following readings 8.2 pH (stays stable), 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates. I've been testing weekly for the past 2 months and all have stayed stable. I admittedly did not test once last year. Water is Crystal clear and can see to bottom.
20170530_200324.jpg
20170530_200324.jpg

So I've been wondering if my pond is not cycling properly considering I have 0 nitrates. I have a ton of plants in (pic 1 is hornwort overgrowth but pic 2 is after I thinned the heard today). Is that what's keeping the nitrates at 0? I also beat the heck out of #2 nitrate after reading that could alter the reading but still the same.

Second question is the bubbles. They do not accumulate and will pop but I've heard that a pond with good water quality should not have bubbles. I do have two air stones directly under the waterfall that could be spreading the bubbles out? There's no muck in the bottom of the pond and maybe just a few leaves.

Thanks in advance for anyone who replies!!

Attachments

• 20170604_161927.jpg
    20170604_161927.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 266

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Why do you think it should not have bubbles as mine always has had bubbles from the aerator and filter outlets
101_0808.JPG
101_0736.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
jezmund, I think your pond looks great, you've got good water quality and the bubbles don't look like DOC bubbles ( dissolved organic compounds ) to me. Enjoy your pond, but don't add more fish, as yours will reproduce :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you Sissy and Tula! Guess I was confused on my last post here someone said those bubbles were bad. And Tula I'm definitely at capacity. Hoping they are all females somehow haha.

So I shouldn't be worried about 0 ppm nitrates?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've read some interesting posts on another forum of folks who have shower filters, having nitrate readings of zero.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've read some interesting posts on another forum of folks who have shower filters, having nitrate readings of zero.
Hmm.. just doesn't seem right. Especially considering how much time I spend weekly cleaning out string algae from the pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
algae is usually a sign of a healthy pond .The algae eats up nutrients to keep your pond clean .Pulling it is better than that having none at all .It protects your fish .Do not over feed and it will go away

Reaction score
Country
United States
algae is usually a sign of a healthy pond .The algae eats up nutrients to keep your pond clean .Pulling it is better than that having none at all .It protects your fish .Do not over feed and it will go away
I'm only feeding 1x per day what they can eat in 2 minutes of tetra flakes

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I feed mine only 2 or 3 times a week it gives them the chance to clean house or pond

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States

Trickle (Shower) filters will only remove Nitrate if they are anaerobic.Nitrate readings are often at zero when there is heavy algae growth. The algae is using it as fast as it is produced. Take a water sample at the outflow of the biofilter and test that for Nitrate. Odds are you will get a reading.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Trickle (Shower) filters will only remove Nitrate if they are anaerobic.Nitrate readings are often at zero when there is heavy algae growth. The algae is using it as fast as it is produced. Take a water sample at the outflow of the biofilter and test that for Nitrate. Odds are you will get a reading.

I'll give it a shot tomorrow!!

Ask a Question