Question about winterized dry root Taro and Geraiums

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This is my first time trying to save Taro and Geraniums.
Last Fall I pulled them, cleaned them and allowed to dry out, then I stored them in boxes
I checked them yesterday, they are still alive!
The Taro is still nice and hard, the Geraniums have most brown branches, a few branches on each are green with miniature leaves...it will be at least 6 more weeks before we can set up our Greenhouse do you guys think these plants can wait that long or should I pot them and put them by a window now?

How do you handle your Taro to re grow it, do you put the bulb in water or plant it in dirt?

Thank you in advance for any tips you might have :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
When I wintered taro, I planted it when it was able to live outside. I still have some that come up every year, in the ground, which is pretty surprising !

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
lucky you, Tula, it is way to cold here, I can't put Taro in the pond until June and there is no way this root will last that long in the box

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
lucky you, Tula, it is way to cold here, I can't put Taro in the pond until June and there is no way this root will last that long in the box
I have no idea why the ones in the g round keep coming back, as they shouldn't for my zone. The ones I used to over winter and plant in pots, I placed in vermiculate filled paper bags.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have no idea why the ones in the g round keep coming back, as they shouldn't for my zone. The ones I used to over winter and plant in pots, I placed in vermiculate filled paper bags.
Did you place them in water at some point before Spring,?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My goal ( if I can master the ability of saving them), is to have them in the pond and everywhere around the yard

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
My goal ( if I can master the ability of saving them), is to have them in the pond and everywhere around the yard
They are really neat, very tropical looking! I think I'm going to try for banana trees this year too!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Warning! In the pond they can get very large. The first year I had one I had it in a milk crate. By the end of summer the crate was busted and roots covered it all. Last year I had mine in window boxes on edges of pond, bare root with pond water flowing over roots. I now have 3 broken window boxes.
025.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I stuck mine in the bog, a friend sent me a few they send out runners and just keep getting bigger and bigger. I am 5'8" they were taller than me. I did save a few, have not even looked at them, we just returned home, I tossed a ton.
IMG_0434.JPG
IMG_0441.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Warning! In the pond they can get very large. The first year I had one I had it in a milk crate. By the end of summer the crate was busted and roots covered it all. Last year I had mine in window boxes on edges of pond, bare root with pond water flowing over roots. I now have 3 broken window boxes.View attachment 96875
I hope mine get to be as large as yours

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I stuck mine in the bog, a friend sent me a few they send out runners and just keep getting bigger and bigger. I am 5'8" they were taller than me. I did save a few, have not even looked at them, we just returned home, I tossed a ton. View attachment 96877 View attachment 96878
Wow!!!! v
lol I'm 5'1" , it'd be like being in the jungle for me:p

Ask a Question