Question for Larkin about your new patio

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was looking at your pond showcase thread and let me just say it is amazing! I can't wait to see your updates each time you post. And your grandson sure is a cutie.

Anywoo on to the question. I saw the post showing your new concrete patio pour. It looks great and I love the small pebble look to it rather than the normal flat grey you see in concrete patios. Is that a different kind of concrete you chose or was it just the way it was finished off? Do you have close up pictures? I have a very large dirt patio and I am gathering ideas on how to finish it off.

Thanks!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I can post some pics of close up. I don't like it at all. The contractor did a set of steps for me and they looked pretty good. but when they did the larger patio the cement dried way to fast and it didn't finish good at all. It's standard 3000psi cement but they use pea gravel instead of regular wash gravel. ( I think they called it top washing) Once it starts setting up they wash the top off with water. The first section did pretty good, the second section the pump truck got clogged and they messed the pour up. They got the second truck out and that truck driver had no clue what he was doing. He didn't add any water or retarder, the concrete set up in minutes. overall it turned out horrible. I'm going to go with a overlay of decorative concrete. I had planned on having stain added to the concrete during the pour. i was talked out of that and they said they would stain afterwards. Once I saw how it turned out I halted that project and got a finisher to come out and tell me what I could do to fix other than tearing out and starting over. He says my best bet is to overlay and he showed me what he was talking about. http://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete/decorative/?gclid=CI-vhZ-Tk7ECFQ5j7AodxHsRlw
Check this out, There are some really nice designs and things they can do with concrete patios and walkways now.
I'm going with a stone pattern and have it colored a brown to blend the gazebo, deck and house together somewhat. LOL, My choice on stain doesn't match as well as I wanted it to either. Has to much orange but to far along now to change all that. the finisher told me to not to change it as he has a idea he want to show me when he gets here he thinks will be right what I'm looking for. ???

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks for the info! And good luck on getting it fixed. I have looked into acid stained and stamped colored concrete but I think it might be too modren a look for our 1940's brick bungalo. But a cobblestone or brick finish or a mix of the two may match well.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Here are some pics. The first is a pic of the Good area. The second is one of the areas that didn't come out well. Once stained and sealed I think I would have been pretty happy if it didn't have bad place in the walkway right through the middle and center of the pond. If you got the right person that can finish it's a good looking way to keep simple but be attractive. BUT if the finisher isn't good, this is what you get.
What ever you do choose to go with take my advice. See the finishers work before hand. Better yet, get a good contractor that really understands how to work with cement in the first place. :)

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 265
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 251
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Pecan have you thought about doing cobblestone pavers? Lots of different designs.

http://www.houzz.com...blestone-pavers

Yep that is what I have been leaning towards for a while. I think it would match the age of the hosue well. But I also wwould like to do a couple different types of patio since it is so large, to help break it up a little. I thought maybe some small wood patios off the house's and pond with cobblestone conntecting them all but haven't really decided. Deciding on a patio has become as bad as deciding on trees. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Here are some pics. The first is a pic of the Good area. The second is one of the areas that didn't come out well. Once stained and sealed I think I would have been pretty happy if it didn't have bad place in the walkway right through the middle and center of the pond. If you got the right person that can finish it's a good looking way to keep simple but be attractive. BUT if the finisher isn't good, this is what you get.
What ever you do choose to go with take my advice. See the finishers work before hand. Better yet, get a good contractor that really understands how to work with cement in the first place. :)

Thanks for the pictures. Yes you can really see the difference. Thanks for the tips.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Well we still haven't gotten word on the Overlay. the price kept going up and no show so we are now thinking maybe covering with tile. Good luck finding what you want and getting someone to do it right. I've gain a half a head of grey hair and I'm at my wits end on this one.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well we still haven't gotten word on the Overlay. the price kept going up and no show so we are now thinking maybe covering with tile. Good luck finding what you want and getting someone to do it right. I've gain a half a head of grey hair and I'm at my wits end on this one.

Our dirt patio is looking better and better at this point. Good luck!

Ask a Question