question on air pump

Reaction score
I have a 1700 gallon lined pond outside that gets about 6 - 7 days sun. I have an Atlantic FilterFalls (model 1500 I believe) biological filter. I worry that I am not getting enough oxygen in the water. Can I put an aerator inside the biofilter or would it be too much oxygen for the biological process? I know people usually put them in the pond, not the filter.

I don't want to have it in the pond because I have no good way to hide it. I can't put too many more plants in the pond for oxygen because my koi will destroy them.

Any suggestions on placement and what brand/model to use? I was looking at the PondMaster Deep Water air pump (model AP-40) on the Dr Foster's and Smith site.

Thanks!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I would think you could put the air stone inthe top of your water fall spill way, with good results

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i ran a small pump and 2 1" airstones in my filter... it actually will help your bacteria remain healthy and active.. but an outside pump and a couple of 3" volcano air stone discs with weighted air line will disappear in your pond. i use a optima pump by 'hagen' in a tupperware container with air holes in it (not rated for outdoor use)and two volcano stones by 'top fin' in the pond ordinarally but now its being used in the 500 gal basement pond as part of my nursery setup. (my koi spawned) oh..goldfish too!!

Ask a Question