Question on fish load

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I need help in figuring out if my pond is over stocked, and how many fish should move to the new pond!

If I understood correctly there isn't a specific formula that works for every pond to determine the fish load it can safely support, right? So can you please help me figuring out what my particular system can support?

My pond is roughly 3,800gl, the pump is 6000gph, I have a large skimmer with a net, a mud pad and 2 additional finer pads, I have 2 bio falls (24" and 26" opening) stocked with media, a 55 UV light with its own pump
I rinse the bio falls media once a year (Spring cleaning) and the skimmer pads daily.
I test ammonia (0) and Nitrite (0) weekly.
I feed 2-3 times x day in the Summer, 1-2 in the Fall.

Fish load at the moment: 2 Shubunkins, 9 large koi, and 4 babies purchased with the intention of moving them to the other pond once ready.

The pond construction is taking longer than we thought, how long can my pond support all these fish, and should I move more than just the 4 babies, to the new pond?

@Jimmy Gibson I can't always follow threads, I didn't understand if your fish loss was a result of overstocked?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
BEWARE! MORE MATH!

haha! I can see why people want an easy "gallon per inch" formula. Now I gotta WEIGH these suckers? Or can I just ask them their weight? Will they be like me and shave off a few dozen pounds?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Gemma, there is a formula for figuring out how many fish a pond can handle.
https://russellwatergardens.com/pages/koi-length-and-weight
Easier said than done! ....please tell me you're kidding
smlaughing3.gif

I forgot to add the pond Max aerator

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
There are two other options:

1) Eh, you're fine.
2) THAT'S TOO MANY! YOU'RE GOING TO KILL EVERYTHING!

Lol not helping Mitch!
smlaughing4.gif

That's where I've been, unable to make up my mind and choose one....but at least you gave me the two options instead of "You're over stocked"!
smlaughing4.gif
smlaughing4.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well I will definitely take the babies out and one of the large ones...that will cut the number down to 2 shubunkins and 8 koi, I think....I HATE MATH!!!!!!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Are you keeping both ponds? Our 2 ponds are both between 4200-4500 gal each. 7 large koi (20-32") in one and only 3 large and 9 smaller in the other. Problem is they don't like the low fish load! I rehome and they spawn!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Best bet, to me, would be to just monitor your water parameters, and adjust accordingly (water changes, adding Prime, etc.). Sounds like this is a temporary situation.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Are you keeping both ponds? Our 2 ponds are both between 4200-4500 gal each. 7 large koi (20-32") in one and only 3 large and 9 smaller in the other. Problem is they don't like the low fish load! I rehome and they spawn!
Yes, I'm keeping both ponds!
I'll know soon the approx. volume of the new pond, but should be at least 6000gls, that's why I wanted to remove some fish from this pond, but hubby thinks that it will be very stressful for them to be chased, netted and put in a strange pond, also he says they have made friends over the years and they will be sad if I split them up....

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
When we built our 2nd pond, we moved about 1/3 of our fish. Strange , brand new pond but moved filter media to get things started and everybody did fine. They loved the new pond as it was so much deeper.

Reaction score
Seems to me as long as your water levels test ok you are in good shape. You can always cut back on feeding and do water changes if your ammonia levels get high, but unless that happens I'd say you have nothing to worry about.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
When we built our 2nd pond, we moved about 1/3 of our fish. Strange , brand new pond but moved filter media to get things started and everybody did fine. They loved the new pond as it was so much deeper.
I was thinking I could rinse the skimmer pads over the new pond to get the cycle going
Seems to me as long as your water levels test ok you are in good shape. You can always cut back on feeding and do water changes if your ammonia levels get high, but unless that happens I'd say you have nothing to worry about.
Thank you so much! That makes me feel better!

Ask a Question