Question on putting plants into baskets.

Merlin

Pond noob
Reaction score
I recently picked up a few plants for my little 50gal pond and the plants are getting a little big for the pots that they came in, but I am at a loss on some techniques on putting them into baskets.

I have heard of a few people planting plants without soil and I think that doing that would do a great deal towards reducing my brown water.

How do y'all go around transplanting plants into baskets. Do you use soil or do you plant them in gravel. Is there any techniques on doing such and what materials do you use.

I would love to see what you guys do. I have been searching for a while but have come up with no useful information.

Gobucks

GoBucks
Reaction score
Merlin,
I have found that you can plant your pond plants in pantyhose. I will find cheap pairs, cut them to the size I need and use "pond soil" (it's a lot like gravel) to plant the plant. So far it's working!

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
i plant mine in aquatic soil and line the planter with sacking first .and finish off with gravel.... if there something like water cress i just use gravel in a planter ... seems to work fine :banghead3:

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Use the recommended aquatic soil for potting all aquatic plants. If you use regular potting soil, your pond water will end up with a tinted color simular to tea, and your pond water won't stay clear like it should using the corrct filtration system for your pond size.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I only have one potted plant left that I used regular potting soil in, and it still leaches some of that tea color into my pond. Next spring I will repot it with either pea gravel or the other aqautc potting mix. I have two bags that I bought on sale at petsmart on sale for a forth of the original cost.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Bill, according to the pond guy here in Tacoma, lotus should be planted in two to three feet of water. If the roots freeze, they will not servive the winter.

Ask a Question