Question on Red line on rocks in water feature

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi - I am new to the forum. My pond started developing a two inch red line at the water line on the rocks. It washes off with some pressure but not sure what this is or how to eliminate it. I've had my pond for 9 years now and this has taken place in the last two years. The pond has no fish or plants. It is fresh water and circulates using a pump then it cascades down two main water falls. It has three filters on it. The output has a mesh bag with lava rock, and the pump has a fish net material and a mesh type material that catches most of the dirt. The pond is located in Colorado and the temp during the summer averages 85 to 90 degrees. I use water from the house to fill it and the only two chemicals I use are Pond Care Algaefix and Pond Clarifier. Up till this red marks on the rocks, I normally get the green algae but I keep this under control and only have to clean the pond about every two months. Normally the water is clear and clean... at least it appears to be except the red lines on the rocks.

Any idea what this is and how to eliminate it from coming back?

Thank you all for looking at this.

Mike

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep I get it my well water has iron in it as Axton is known for it .I just spray peroxide on it and wait and then turn pumps back on and it washes away with the algae too .Not much you can do for iron in water .I have tried to find something to clean the water .2 big filters in my house and still cannot get iron out .Neighbors here that don't have good filters that just use the filter that came with there wells get pink toilets and some pink when they wash there clothes .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Stay away from @tbendl - she'll have your pond full of fish before you can blink an eye!

JUST KIDDING! Welcome! And pictures please! We love pictures!

Ask a Question