QUESTIONS ABOUT NETS & NETTING -- what to look for.....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
1 - NETS for scooping stuff out of the pond, bottom of pond [leaves, etc.] --
-- Is there a "shape" that tends to work better than other shapes? Such as round, square, oblong, triangular? Have been GOOGLING nets, but find that a net isn't just a net anymore.....
-- What "size" is best for the actual netting material? Fine or large holes?
-- Skimmer-type net [shallow] or rake-type net [deep]?

2 - NETTING for putting over the pond to keep out leaves in the first place. What do you use, how do you fasten it, how do you attach it, etc., etc., etc.?

Trying to get the pond covered quickly yesterday due to Hurricane Isaac, so bought some "poultry" netting from HD. Had to get 3 rolls [$20/roll!!] which worked fine, but had to piece them together with zip-ties.. Used heavy duty tent stakes with with some tarp bungies at the corners. Netting is sitting ON the water and not above it like I wanted, and there are gaps where we zip-tied, but doing this near dark & best we could [were in a hurry & using 17 y/o-son-labor]. Plants are peaking through the gaps, and now worried that fish will swim on top and get stuck.

Planning to make a permanent covering, but figure there are better/easier ways.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You may want to get it out of the water because of the turtles claws and also froggie legs can get caught in it and sometimes even fish fins .If you get that grey plastic piping for electric wires to be run trough it you can make an arch out of 2 pieces and put a stake in the ground with some of it sticking up and put the stake up through the pipe .Rebar works for the stake as long it is the thinner kind .Similar to how you would do an arched cover over veggies you want to protect

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks, Sissy! We didn't cover the turtle part - main concern was keeping debris & stuff out of the main pond. Weather's not bad right now, so have been checking and so far no critters are stuck. It will come off just as soon as the storm warnings pass. Then I can get to work on a proper cover. What's a good way to attach or "sew" the pieces together so there are no gaps [zip-ties were a quick solution], and same with attaching it to PVC or other piping?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
heavy duty fishing line and one of those big sewing needles and hand sew it together .Sewing it to a pipe that way also works

Reaction score
Great idea sissy! PVC pipe
I dont know what "poultry netting" is, unless its like bird netting (prolly not that stuff is closely nitted). I use what we call "deer netting", it's made of black plastic and squares. I think i paid $20 for it, but it is 50 feet long. And sissy is right, you'll want to tent it not only for safety of the pet, but you'll have leaves and other debree piling up on the bottom of the net and slipping through into the pond. It will be soooo much easier to clean this next spring! :cheerful:
I built a frame out of 1x2" lumber to fit the specs of the pond and attached the netting to it. Then I tented it with ,last year, some of those metal dragonfly decorations you stick in the ground. But that was the smaller pond, I'm currently building an arbour over the bigger pond so I will be tenting it up on the arbour, kind of like a Teepee lol.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
even pipein the ground and netting tied to it on all the corners all you need is eye bolts and a metal drilling bit

I use this idea to shade my pond but you could net it also with this idea

Reaction score
sissy and wendy did a good job on recommendations...only thing sadly is pond netting would have probably run you around the same price but in one piece

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The only poultry netting I could find was metal ,I guess there must be others .I bought bird netting also used it once and changed it out for the window screens because of the bridge .

Ask a Question