Questions about using well water for a koi pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm setting up a Koi pond this summer and I'm not sure of how to do the Well water. Do I need certain chemicals or how to make it safe for Koi fish?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
You should have a water quality report from the well driller or municipality.
Once you have those results, you can address any adjustments that need to be made.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Just remember that water has no dissolved oxygen, so spray it in when you add water.

The chemical water qual8ty report is crucial to make future water quality decisions. The pH might easily be 9.0, so you need to deal with that issue. I ve seen some locations where the well water is Brown from the iron content.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our well, drinking, has such a low ph and so soft I had to buffer it up. Didn't know that until I killed the first fish I put in. After the first fish kill I waited a year before I added more fish. Buffered up the hardness added plants got the ph stable then added fish.
So test your ph, hardness etc. Our ph is 5.4 and so soft I get no reading.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have well water and a very high ph, my fish are doing just fine now that I stopped trying to lower it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my well water can be different .My well is over 4 feet in the ground and not sure if that has something to do with it .If I take the sample straight from the hydrant it is 8 and if I take it from the house after the filter it can be 7 .But I have to get the sample after the filter back flush's everyday .If I get the sample 2 or 3 ours later it can be some times 7 .But even that can all change also from time to time .After long bouts of rain it can be 9 after at least 2 weeks of heavy rain in the spring .I take samples every month and write it down .I am amazed at the swings in ph .I get the fresh water tests off ebay .Some people around here with wells in the 200 foot deep range will get pink water from the clay or it can be rusty colored .Iron also in our water adds to the problem

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
pH at 5.4 isn’t good. Interferes with respiration. Baking soda with raise pH cheaply. Target 7.2.
baking soda never got the ph to stabilize. I added crushed oyster shells and plants, let the pond run for months fishless. The next spring the ph was a nice 7.7 plus minus.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Baking soda just brings the pond back in range. We Measure pH every Saturday, just once a week, and if we see a dip to 7.0 or 7.1 we add a couple pounds and the pond is good for weeks or until the next torrential acid rain. We used to make plaster of Paris nuggets with egg containers, but baking soda is cheap and easy. 13,5 pounds for six bucks at sams club, and it lasts for months.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I found it easier to fix the hardness and ph and never need to worry about it again. I use rain water to help with water changes and the rain water is a low ph. But even with torrential rains the ph now stays just fine.
I used to check after hard rains, it stayed just fine.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I put 4 feet and meant 400 feet must be the heat and humidity getting to me

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know from the well driller and when we had to pull the pump to replace it .I still have the bill and measured it when we pulled it and the pipe was 422 feet so figured the well was around 450 feet deep because of the codes .here

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ours has not needed replacement, so far, shouldn't say that lol. We did not do inspections when we bought the house, figured we could fix whatever was wrong.

Found the septic tank and lines while digging the pond, ran right into them.

Ask a Question