Questions about Water hawthorn

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Somewhere in my reading I came across water hawthorn. It seems like a great plant given it likes colder weather and sounds like it would give good surface shade and cover for the fish. I have read all I can find on line as well as all of the posts regarding he plant on this site, but I still have a few questions.
1. Several articles state you can plant the hawthorn in the same container as a water lily. My lily is in a wide shallow planter about 14 inches wide by three inches deep. The planter is filled with kitty litter. Will this planter work?
2. Is this a bulb or a tuber? Do I plant it like a lily?
3. Read a few comments that this should probably be taken in winter? I am confused by this as several article say the plant likes cold weather.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Yes it can be planted in the same pot as your lilies, it will usually go dormant by the time lilies get going as the weather warms up.

Plant is a bulb, plant pointed side up just a little under the substrate.

It can stay outside year round, no need to bring in.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep I grew it in my pond for a few years and then it started making seeds that sprouted and were floating around in the pond. I should have planted some cuz for some reason my mother plant disappeared. Loved how it bloomed when it was colder. It did go dormant in the heat of Summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Yes it can be planted in the same pot as your lilies, it will usually go dormant by the time lilies get going as the weather warms up.

Plant is a bulb, plant pointed side up just a little under the substrate.

It can stay outside year round, no need to bring in.
Thanks, sounds great. When the got cold last year I had to resort to cheesy plastic lily pads for cover for the fish. I would like to have something natural all year round as possible.(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Yep I grew it in my pond for a few years and then it started making seeds that sprouted and were floating around in the pond. I should have planted some cuz for some reason my mother plant disappeared. Loved how it bloomed when it was colder. It did go dormant in the heat of Summer.
Yes I read in one of the old posts that you had some j.w. I was wondering if you still had some? Sorry to here it died off. I will have swap the plants out for a seedling every other year if it takes off. I managed to find some for sale at Todd's nursery in Orting. If you are ever up for a road trip you should give them a look. They have a nice selection of fish, plants and pond and dacor.
By the way how wide was the surface spread of the water Hawthorne?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think the spread was about 3 feet wide but it grew in a line as you can see in the first photo. Maybe cuz it was competing for space w/the lilies. I've seen it grow around in a circle in others photos tho.

IMG_6003.JPG

IMG_6027.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
I was able to pick up a couple of these to from one our local nurseries. The at probably a third of the size of the one in the picture. Hopefully I'm takes off. My lily is acting like allot of the plants in my garden. They grow a little when is warm, stop when it's colder. Bring on the warm weather already.:eek:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Panzer13 It's almost May and we are still looking like Fall.............................so depressing and my poor fish are hungry. I've fed them on the nice days we had once but now it's only in the 40's out there. Oh but here's the good thing......................your Water Hawthorne will love this horrid weather :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
@Panzer13 It's almost May and we are still looking like Fall.............................so depressing and my poor fish are hungry. I've fed them on the nice days we had once but now it's only in the 40's out there. Oh but here's the good thing......................your Water Hawthorne will love this horrid weather :rolleyes:
I hope so, it's been a challenge finding plants that like our weather. Noticed I had some frog eggs as hitch hikers on one of the plants. I put them in my new bog container that I built, hopefully they will be safe there. I would love to have a frog or two in the pond.
My cat catches tree frogs and brings them into the house. He never hurts them just bring them in so my wife and can chase them around until we catch them. Guess he figures we should be part of the fun.:ROFLMAO:
I wonder if he would go after frogs in the pond?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Panzer13 your cat might not like the feel of a bigger frog in it's mouth. Guess it just depends on your cat. I would think those frog eggs would do fine in most any container w/water in it.....................unless your cat likes tadpoles too :whistle:

Frogs I wouldn't mind as much as snakes brought inside! I can picture you two chasing frogs,lol!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
@Panzer13 your cat might not like the feel of a bigger frog in it's mouth. Guess it just depends on your cat. I would think those frog eggs would do fine in most any container w/water in it.....................unless your cat likes tadpoles too :whistle:

Frogs I wouldn't mind as much as snakes brought inside! I can picture you two chasing frogs,lol!
Sherman, my cat, hates water. So as long as the frogs stay in the pond they should be fine. Part of me hopes he would fall in and get wet, maybe that would curb his frog hunting. But knowing him he would just come in the house, he has his own cat door, soaking wet with the frog. :banghead:

Ask a Question