Questions about "waterfall foam"

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have used the GREAT STUFF expanding foam for other projects so am very familiar with it.

• Is the black waterfall foam pretty much the same stuff, same consistency, etc., just the color is different?
  • How well would it adhere to a liner? Not for anything "structural," but I'm thinking of something I want to use it for in the "turtle bog," and some degree of adherence is a good thing.
  • How durable is it, especially when exposed to sun and water?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
used it for my waterfall ledge at the base of the stream works great bonded the rocks to the liner with no issue. After 2-3 years the exposed foam did break down to the point i could peel the rock back a bit without damage to the liner. like great stuff don't get it on your hands or clothing

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You want that foam to last a loooong time - use the good stuff. We have foam that's been "exposed" (I can tell it's there, but you'd never notice if you didn't know where to look) for six years and it's still rock hard.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey, all! Thanks for the replies, and keep 'em coming! I'm doing a little bit of product research on the internet -- never realized there were so many brands & types of "waterfall foam," or at least foam designed for that or other wet conditions.

For my proposed, possible "project," the foam will be partially submerged, so that is important. I want to make a wall-length "ramp" to make it easier for my boxies to get in and out of their bog. Until now, I've had the gravel banked with large rocks to form a sort of beach. IMG_0104.PNG

But when I redo things, I might be doing away with having anything along one side.IMG_0105.PNG
No idea if it will work -- it's just one idea I've toyed with.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Great stuff sells a lower expanding foam for windows and doors .They used it on my house .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Great stuff sells a lower expanding foam for windows and doors .They used it on my house .
Yes. It is also more dense. I just made some hollow faux rocks and logs as hides for my turtles and had a couple cans of the "windows" stuff. I also picked up a can of a LOCTITE brand foam. It cost a little more, but was very dense. Haven't tried it yet. It's getting close to "experiment time" at my house, LOL!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They have nozzles you can buy for the cans to make the bead a wide flat surface coming out of the can .This old house had them on the show .I bought them and they work great

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They have nozzles you can buy for the cans to make the bead a wide flat surface coming out of the can .This old house had them on the show .I bought them and they work great
Where do you get them? The latest cans of GREAT STUFF that I bought have a new kind of nozzle, where you can close it off if you don't use the entire can. I like that feature as it saves wasting partially full cans.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought the set of tips at lowes .They were near the cans of spray foam and come in a package of 4 tips different sizes for semi flat that some are wider than others .I got the package with the wider ones instead of different types of flat tips.I think they were around 3 dollars and orange plastic and if you spray them with a little WD 40 they are easier to clean

Ask a Question