Questions on a small goldfish pond

Reaction score
Hi,
I've had my small goldfish pond for a while now and have really enjoyed it though small.
I would like to redo some of it this spring and was thinking of gluing small stones on the sidewalls of my preformed pond to make it look more natural.. I hate looking at the black sidewalls. looks unnatural to me.. I want to disguise it as well as the pump and pipes.
I'm wondering if there is a fish safe silicone or glue that I can use to do this.
I know about the black foam stuff and I hate working with it. Its so messy and you have to use it all once you open it up. I have to work a few minutes and rest a while so something that's seal-able and can be used another day.
thanks for any info.
Liz

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Most likely any stones you adhere to the sides of your preform will become covered with algae or sediment in the pond water. There is a rock looking pond liner made just for the purpose of changing a EDPM or preformed ponds look. It's name is "Rock-On-A-Roll".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The problem you will then get is detritus getting in between the stones and the pond being nigh on impossible to clean. Your problem them would be it would also harbour harmful bacteria that would be just waiting for a chance to attack your goldfish resulting in nasty ulcers that will leave bad scars and in the worst case senario leading to their death :(
Our koi pond is what we in the UK call formal meaning it it clear of plants pipes etc :)
After a while a pleasing covering of algae takes over the bottom and sides of the pond which the koi keep short by snacking on it giving the pleasing appearanc of a neatly mowed lawn :)
Being a preformed pond and small to begin with your acctually going to loose both space and water volume which is the same priciple that keeps ships afloat or if you yourself wwould get into a full bath of water you would displace the water out of the bath.
If you have plenty of space in your garden why not plan a larger pond for your goldfish with a bottom drain which elliminates the needs of pipes and wires in the pond itself and turn the preformed pond into a wildlife pond.:)
Many of us are never satified with our first ponds anyway and often build bigger and better ones as we move through our hobby ;)
I hope this gives you some ideas that you can put into practice at a later date I for one would be interested in your progress as and if you do (y)

Dave:)

Last edited:
Reaction score
thanks for the suggestions.
I have been thinking about expanding.. is it a disease?:happy:
I am interested in the bottom drain.. any photos or plans available?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ha Ha yes we are all a bunch of sicko, addicted ponderers here. We encourage any unsuspecting newcomers to join the party and make their pond they have bigger or build a new mammoth one. Most of us have black liner ponds that we let cover w/ the soft short algae that is good for the pond and fishes and makes it look el naturel. You can dig a little short shelf maybe 6" to 9" or whatever down below the edge of your pond. Place rocks there and then up on the edge above those put your final layer of rocks. Hide's the liner quite well so you don't see it bare above the water line. I don't have a bottom drain so can't help ya w/ that one :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
thanks for the suggestions.
I have been thinking about expanding.. is it a disease?:happy:
I am interested in the bottom drain.. any photos or plans available?
Oh dear its terimal already call for the Doctor :LOL:

Dave;)

Ask a Question