Questions on bog addition

Reaction score
Hoping to get some advice. I want to put a bog on the back side of a smaller pond @ an area where water from the pond over flows when it rains & washes down the back. This happens alot. Trying to get as much info as I can before starting.Here are some questions I have.
1. How deep & how large [length & width} does a bog have to be?
2. Does the bog have to be higher than the pond or can it be level to the pond?
3. Can I just use gravel in the bottom or does the bog need to have a liner.
4. Does the water in the bog need to circulate.[Do I need some kind of pump or fountain].
I was hoping the bog could add filtration to the pond and want it to be as simple as I can make it. Thanks for any advice.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well, if you want it to filter, you need to have water enter it, below the bog material and go back into the pond.
1) The bog can be whatever size you want to make it. Mine is large but it is my only filter.
2) higher if you want to have the water run back into the pond, or it can be level if you want to have a communication between the pond and bog that allows the water to flow from bog into pond via the wall, covered with landscape fabric to keep the dirt gravel etc in the bog
3) I used a liner, my land does not retain water.
4) Yes to circulate if you want it act as a filter, pumping the pond water into the bog, then bog back into pond.

It is not hard to make, but you need to know what you want out of your bog. Just a plant bog, or a pond filter.

Mine has pipes below the pea gravel the pump pushes the water up through the gravel and waterfalls back into the pond.

Reaction score
We have decided that the bog area will not be used for filtration, at least for this year. The area stays moist, not entirely wet, most of the time because of rain water overflowing the pond. We will plant water plants in gravel, for now, in that corner. I have read the post you made on the building of your pond. I payed close attention to the bog information & have found some good leads to follow. Thanks for sharing you experience.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Glad to help, you will be surprised at what will grow in a bog.

Ask a Question