Questions on goldfish and trapdoor snails

Reaction score
I have about ten goldfish that are between 1/4" and 1/2" at what size will the not be eaten by the bigger fish?

I have also noticed that some of my trapdoor snails will be floating on top of the water when I go out at 3-4 am. Later in the day they are back on the sides or bottom. Why are they floating?

Reaction score
bmach, what exactly are you doing up and about at 3 or 4 am?! LOL!

Can't be just looking at floating snails! Sounds like you're up to no good! LOL!

Reaction score
Either I work nights or I am a frog looking for some food. So should I pull my little fish and put them in something else until they are bigger?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
koi and goldfish will eat the fry until theyre recognised as fish and not larvae .. the floating trapdoor snails...never witnessed that

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I have found that The baby trap door snails are quickly eaten by my larger Shubunkin's. I have trap door snails in another tank that have hundreds of baby snails. Nothing else in there to eat them.

Happy ponding,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I have about ten goldfish that are between 1/4" and 1/2" at what size will the not be eaten by the bigger fish?

I have also noticed that some of my trapdoor snails will be floating on top of the water when I go out at 3-4 am. Later in the day they are back on the sides or bottom. Why are they floating?
I have three different sizes of fry among my seven adult goldfish (shubunkins) and they don't seem to bother with them. Mine are up to an inch already. By "bigger fish" do you mean only goldfish? Do you have a lot of cover for the fry? I have a lot of parrots feather that they hide in too...I notice when the lights come on in the evening the little ones all come out and hunt for food in the light. I watch the adults zooming around them and have yet to see one of them picked off.

Ask a Question