Questions on Growing a Lotus (Greenhouse)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone!

For my AP Environmental class, I’ve been tasked with successfully growing a plant, from a seed, and I had chosen a lotus. I have purchased five seeds from a vendor on Amazon, and have done quite a bit of research to ensure that I do this right. Through my research, though, I’ve found a plethora of information that seems to conflict each other. Some questions I’ve had trouble finding accurate answers to are as follows:

- What is the best method for opening the protective shell around the seed core? I’ve seen drill bits, sand paper, and steel files, but I’ve seen things like hammers and scissors as well.

- What is the best type of container, or containers, for green house growth? I’ve seen multiple sources say it is best to use a smaller pot/container with your media, and then to place that vessel into a larger one. Not sure what the best strategy here would be.

- What should the growth media even be? I’ve read that river clay then river sand is the best, as it doesn’t float free, but I’ve been unable to find anything along those lines. I’ve looked at Ocean Forest by Fox Farm, which contains sandy loam and various nutrients, as well as clay clumps, pottery clay, and natural sand. Some sources have even said that you can get away with using just topsoil.

- Lastly, something every source seems to provide different answers on, is the type of nutrients or fertilizers I should provide the plants, or if I even need to at all just for standard growth.

Thank you in advance, I appreciate any answers or any advice that can be given! I look forward to growing aquatic plants for the first time!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Let me give you the information that I have used to grow lotus. I actually use my Dremil with a cutting blade to cut thru the dark outer shell. You just need to nick it so you can see the lighter seed under. Before that , I would hold the seed with pliers and cut it with a sharp knife. Again, just to get thru the outer shell. Put the seeds in a container of water and keep in a warm location but no direct sun. You will need to change the water often, it can get nasty. You get green sprouts first, just keep them in the water until they sprout roots. I use plain clay kitty litter. You have to be very careful handling the seeds. If the sprout breaks off, its dead. Gently set them in a large container ( I use 2 1/2 gal. buckets) with 3-4" of the litter that has water about 1-2" above the litter.Gently press roots into litter and let them grow. Do not fertilize until you get a couple of leaves that are held above the water. I use the pond tab fertilizer. 1/2 tab for new seedlings. I had 50 started last year and had them growing in a 100 gallon stock tank. It seems deer like lotus seedlings! Lost all 50.

Ask a Question