Questions on koi

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi there New to the forum but my son has a pond that we have in our front yard . He’s on the spectrum and fish are his jam . We have tanks everywhere and he’s had this pond a year . In it we had 4 koi that were a year old . Unfortunately our Gardner’s sprayed chemical and it got In the pond and all the koi died . I’m in the process of writing out a list of what needs to be replaced . What would you price the koi at . They wear a year old and healthy and growing great . We purchased at petsmart and petco and they were the largest there and grade A is what it said on the Rec. Thanks for the help

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Koi from petco, are more than likely worth what you paid for them. Maybe a little more, if they grew a significant amount in a year, IMO.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I agree with @Jhn - pet store fish don't really gain in value. In this situation though, I would go to a reputable dealer and price out fish in a comparable size.

Let me ask you one question though - how big is your pond? Is it suitable for koi or would goldfish be a better choice?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Its suitable for four koi that’s all . He has a tank in his room with goldfish two in our kitchen one with cichlids and one with Molly’s and one in the bathroom with guppies . If we aloud him he would place fish tanks everywhere that had a free space :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Koi from petco, are more than likely worth what you paid for them. Maybe a little more, if they grew a significant amount in a year, IMO.
They grew a decent amount . More then what I expected :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Koi will need 1000 gallons each, goldfish only need 60 gallons each for optimal conditions. I’m sure you’re pricing to let the gardener know what he’s liable for. But when you replace them, you might think of reducing the number of koi and putting the goldfish in the pond, and replacing them with other fish. Waterlilly might be a nice addition.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
If your son has any serious interest in fish, you might YouTube King Of DIY, he talks about how to build tanks and filters. This might be a good project for your son to learn, as its fish related but expands his skills. And building a tank can end up less expensive than buying the bigger ones, not to mention they can be built to custom size that way.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Rmaguirre
Sorry for the loss of the fish.
Hoping you can get all of that chemical out and the water cycled good before you add any fish.
Have you ever thought of getting Shubunkins as they have some nice colors and don't need as much room to grow as the koi.

Ask a Question