Quick and inexpensive predator guard and leaf guard

Reaction score
Country
United States
We were concerned about predators in our area, mainly Herons. We had been cleaned out several times before. To accomplish this I constructed this quick screen using 1" pvc conduit and 90 degree elbows. It floats if you wish or you can elevate one end and float the other. It cost less than $20 for all the pvc fittings and cement. The screen was separate. Zip ties attach the screen.

Supplies: 1" PVC Conduit 10' lengths (variable number depending upon size). 4 each 90 degree elbows. At least one coupling. Fast dry cement. 8" zip ties. Larger or smaller pipe may be used depending upon pond size. All parts are one stop at Home Depot, Lowes, or other hardware store.

Jim
IMG_0001[2].JPG
IMG_0002[1].JPG

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That's nice and thanks for sharing. But I've read that herons will peck through wire or mesh -- not that they will succeed in getting the fish, but could still cause injury. Keep us posted on how effective it is!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Any suggestions on how to strengthen it would be helpful. Someone said they rigged some random strings as a distraction.

Jim

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanx @Modela you've just solved a problem weve been having with our new net I'm going to copy this idea if you dont mind that is
We were concerned about predators in our area, mainly Herons. We had been cleaned out several times before. To accomplish this I constructed this quick screen using 1" pvc conduit and 90 degree elbows. It floats if you wish or you can elevate one end and float the other. It cost less than $20 for all the pvc fittings and cement. The screen was separate. Zip ties attach the screen.

Supplies: 1" PVC Conduit 10' lengths (variable number depending upon size). 4 each 90 degree elbows. At least one coupling. Fast dry cement. 8" zip ties. Larger or smaller pipe may be used depending upon pond size. All parts are one stop at Home Depot, Lowes, or other hardware store.

JimView attachment 94858 View attachment 94859
It looks a very interesting project so simple to do as well , what was your initial outlay on this project please ?
Thanx @Modela you've just solved a problem weve been having with our new net.
I'm going to copy this idea if you dont mind that is as it will tie in with what weve been doing but without the bungee straps :happy:
As to random strings herons do not like stepping over fishing line tied between posts close to the pond but far away enough to stop them spearing fish [I believe about knee height] Note* I suggest fishing line because its harder for them to see and thus to try and step over , try strenthing it with bungee staps tied corner to corner , in our pond we have the net kept clear of the water by a bungee strap tied across the pond with the net laid across it it should work or add a section of pipe and fittings cross wise across the middle of the net

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanx @Modela you've just solved a problem weve been having with our new net I'm going to copy this idea if you dont mind that is
It looks a very interesting project so simple to do as well , what was your initial outlay on this project please ?
Thanx @Modela you've just solved a problem weve been having with our new net.
I'm going to copy this idea if you dont mind that is as it will tie in with what weve been doing but without the bungee straps :happy:
As to random strings herons do not like stepping over fishing line tied between posts close to the pond but far away enough to stop them spearing fish [I believe about knee height] Note* I suggest fishing line because its harder for them to see and thus to try and step over , try strenthing it with bungee staps tied corner to corner , in our pond we have the net kept clear of the water by a bungee strap tied across the pond with the net laid across it it should work or add a section of pipe and fittings cross wise across the middle of the net

Dave

From Home Depot:
754826044495 1 SCH40 10FT <A>
1 SCHEDULE 40 X 10FT
[email protected] 10.17
4715409150008 8IN BLK TI <A> 6.87
8" BLK UV RSST DBLLCK CBLE TIE 100PK
722571010553 GL3ALUMINUM <A>
034481227045 1IN 90DEG EL <A>
ELBOW 1" SCH40 90DEG BELL END
[email protected] 5.68
044752110082 PVC SOLVENT <A> 4.98
8OZ PVC CEMENT RED HOT LOW VOC

I used hardly any of the PVC glue and few of the 8" ties which I like to keep around. The bell ends on the elbows and pipe eliminate a lot of the need for couplings. It turns out we could have done it with two pieces of pipe. Don't forget the need for an extra coupling or two (you will see why) at $.55 each. You can use larger or smaller conduit depending on how large you make it. Feel free to use and/or modify.

Jim

Reaction score
Country
United States
After 20 Years the pond is still hanging in. The art is steel, copper, and brass. We finally started having success with our filter after we followed some advice to double the size of filter for a rated filter system (Pondmaster). Fence in front is too keep one fish (Evel K) from jumping out.

@Modela BTW, your waterfall wall looks very interesting! Could you post a few more pictures of your pond in general, and the wall in particular?
IMG_0003[1].JPG

IMG_0004[1].JPG
IMG_0006[1].JPG
IMG_0005[1].JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
After 20 Years the pond is still hanging in. The art is steel, copper, and brass. We finally started having success with our filter after we followed some advice to double the size of filter for a rated filter system (Pondmaster). Fence in front is too keep one fish (Evel K) from jumping out.

View attachment 94868
View attachment 94869 View attachment 94870 View attachment 94871

A lovely pond indeed however I live in the UK so I will have to source my pipes elsware plus my pond is round so I will have to re think the pipework a little .
Many thanx againfor the idea .

Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just love that wall and backsplash [or whatever it's called]? Was the backsplash custom made? Your motto should be "May all your herons be etched in the mind, and not in reality!"

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A lovely pond indeed however I live in the UK so I will have to source my pipes elsware plus my pond is round so I will have to re think the pipework a little .
Many thanx againfor the idea .

Dave
Use lots of 45's or 22's. Somewhere once I looked up an online "calculator" for using angles to make a circle shape of a certain size, and it gave the dimensions for each straight piece, etc. I'm math-challenged, so I have to use AIDS.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Use lots of 45's or 22's. Somewhere once I looked up an online "calculator" for using angles to make a circle shape of a certain size, and it gave the dimensions for each straight piece, etc. I'm math-challenged, so I have to use AIDS.
Same here Maggie Math and I do not see eye to eye never has been and never will be [much to the disgust of my father who was head of rates in the local council ].

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just love that wall and backsplash [or whatever it's called]? Was the backsplash custom made? Your motto should be "May all your herons be etched in the mind, and not in reality!"
The back splash was built when the house was built by Ken Scott Designs. It was coordinated with the brick work. The pond was a last minute thing and we were glad we added it.

Reaction score
Country
United States

The elbows are also available in 45 degree angles so you could make an octagon.

Ask a Question