Quick Help needed

Reaction score
Country
United States
We had a major issue with a cracked filter and all the water completely drained out except about 3 or 4 in. I was able to put my 6 koi about 6 to 8 in long in a temporary tub with 20 gallons of old pond water and a pump to cycle water for oxygen. Question is how long will they last in tub? I am preparing a 150 gallon stock tank to keep them in until main tank is ready just added water and chemicals so it may be a few days before I can add fish to it. Just not sure if koi will be ok for few days until 150 is ready

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
6 koi in 20 gallons? I think I'd take the chance and move them to the 150 gallon stock tank as soon as possible. I'm glad you were able to get to them before the water was all gone!

Reaction score
Country
United States
They will foul that water real fast.
Yes that is my fear. I am trying to move then to bigger space a quickly as possible but just water and neutralize and I know I need to wait at least 72 hours before I can move them u till main pond is ready

Reaction score
Country
United States
I added heavy metal neutralizer for chlorine and such in tap water. Bottle said 72 hours before adding fish

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I see. You might want to get a dechlorinator that doesn't require a wait period in case you have a water loss again. I use Vanish- dry powder, just dump in measured amount while adding water. Prime is a brand that is used a lot as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I would buy some Prime and refill the stock tank and move the fish into it, with aeration.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Jroc23

Ask a Question