Quick question regarding 55 Gallon Barrel Filter

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I am looking at building a 55 gallon barrel filter setup and have a question on which setup might work more effectively. In the pic I attached which setup is more effective? The design on the left where the inlet water goes to the bottom of the barrel then filters up and drains out or like on the right where the inlet water drains over the filters, drains down and out? Also with this setup does the drain have enough pressure/flow rate to run back to a waterfall or it is better to run it back into the pond direct?

Thank you.

Attachments

• Drum_filter.jpg
    Drum_filter.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 14,369
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thank you for the responses. I assume you both chose A so the water will hit the bottom of the barrel first allowing gunk to settle and give the water more time to filter through the filters before it exits the barrels?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When I have had top flow down filters, the top layer of the filter gets clogged up then you can have an over flow issue, at least some of my did that.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I use a two-barrel system. The first one is an 'A' type, and the sludge that settles in the bottom can be drained off every few days. The outlet then flows into the top of the second barrel, a 'B' type, through a plate with multiple holes to spread the water out, and down through a column of bio-balls, flowing out the bottom and back into the pond. The second barrel, BTW, only needs cleaning once, at the end of the season, because the water flowing through it is already filtered of MOST of the crap!
John
BTW, why is there a drain at the TOP of the 'A' filter?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks Haro. That's what I was looking at doing but wasn't sure if it would work or how well it would work. As far as the drain on "A" filter I'm not sure. I goggled the barrel setup and found that picture.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
HARO ...
the"A" filter in picture has a ballvalved sediment flush drain on the bottom. this is to removed accumulated debris on the bottom or sump area of filter. the drain on top has a ballvalve as well. this is slightly lower than the return outlet. so when you run a blower thru the media to "BOIL" clean it the crud can flow out the backflush drain before hitting the return outlet. open the valve to clean. close it for normal filtering operation.

Last edited:

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
HARO ...
the"A" filter in picture has a ballvalved sediment flush drain on the bottom. this is to removed accumulated debris on the bottom or sump area of filter. the drain on top has a ballvalve as well. this is slightly lower than the return outlet. so when you run a blower thru the media to "BOIL" clean it the crud can flow out the backflush drain before hitting the return outlet. open the valve to clean. close it for normal filtering operation.
Thanks, Mark. I just use a hose to wash the crud DOWN through the filter while draining the barrel. (Well water.) Seems to work quite well.
John

Reaction score
omegared,

I also would select design "A".

However, I bring the INLET water from the pond in from the side of the barrel near the bottom (just below the filter media support platform). This elliminates having to cut holes through the filter media for the pipe coming down through the center from the top (if you are using something like Matala sheet or roll media).

Also, if you have to remove the media for cleaning, the inlet pipe will not be in your way. That is one less step to contend with during maintenance.

If you are using a media bed of rock/gravel/sand, then this configuration will allow for better purging using compressed air and water from the bottom upwards. For either media type, you will provide that much additional filtration (the pipe going down the center takes up useable filtration area).

Having the inlet pipe come down the center of the media from the top also allows for possible channeling of dirty pond water around the sides of the inlet pipe between the pipe and the filter media.

I bring the inlet pipe into the barrel and then TEE it off near the center of the barrel. On each side of the TEE I inserted a short length of pipe with a 90 degree ELL at each end, near the outside wall of the barrel. Each ELL directs the water into a circular flow around the inside perimeter of the barrel. Thus attempting to form a sort of 'vortex' or whirlpool movement of the water at the bottom of the barrel. This action creates a fast current of water around the outer perimeter of the barrel and a 'slow' velocity point at the very center of the barrel. The larger, heavier solids should drop out nearer to the very center and bottom of the barrel.

Then, for the drain, I used a simple PVC shower drain installed at the very center of the barrel, flush with the bottom. Most of the big, heavy "gunk" gets expelled when I open the drain valve.

If you intend to use this filter for merely filtering out solids, then you can apply the cleaning / purging methods below.

If you are using this system as a biological conversion system, then you need to ensure that you don't harm your bacteria during the cleaning / purging process and will have to be more gentle.

If you use Matala type media, I would flush the system from the top down to clean it often (weekly/monthly/qrtly) and drain the wastewater out the bottom. Then, periodically, remove the media from the barrel and clean it with a pressure washer or garden hose sprayer.

If you are using rock/gravel/sand for your filter media, I would use a high pressure air compressor with water assist to flush the media up from the bottom and overflow out to a top drain line (in conjunction with the bottom drain for the barrel).

These are just the ideas that I have incorporated so far, not that they are the best practice or the most most efficient, they were just the simplest for me to design around and make the system more maintenance friendly for me.

Catfishnut

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks for great info Catfishnut. I am still in the planning process (want to build a bigger pond next year) so I am trying to find all the information I can from all of you that have been there done that. It is very much appreciated.

Ask a Question