quick question

Reaction score
ok quick question would it be ok to line the bottom of the first layer in like large flat rocks? and where i level it off with cinder blocks how would i put a skimmer into that?? or where would i put a skimmer at?

1. would be the flat rocks going across
2. is where im going to come up on the sides with cinder blocks and level it off
3. would be where im going to put the water fall

IMG_0266.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Flat rocks in the pond? they tend to collect junk, poop and make dirty pond water.
Put your skimmer on the opposite side of the pond from the waterfall, it will help push leaves etc into the skimmer.

The liner starts to look like rocks after it collects dirt and some algae. I had rocks in one pond they grew great algae from the dirt collected around them

Reaction score
i thought it would look cool like a cliff would a drop off lol but i figured it would collect a lot of crap on it but yeah im gonna put the skimmer on the other side of the pond but how would i put it in a cinder block wall?

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Also for the placemet of your skimmer it should be the opposite side of your waterfall but take into consideration which way the wind blows across your pond so that it can blow the leaves etc toward the skimmer, that is if you live in area that gets a lot of wind. I get a fair amount and have noticed that during storms and windy days when there is bound to be stuff blowing into your pond that often it collects on the opposite side of my skimmer until the wind dies down.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I watched the wind taherrmann and planned our pond layout based on how it consistently blew, west to east. The water fall, bog waterfall are to the west, the skimmer is to the east. The leaves consistently gather at the skimmer.

Good suggestion for tala, the water movement with the waterfalls will also help push the leaves etc towards the skimmer, but the wind does the most pushing.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nilz said:
i thought it would look cool like a cliff would a drop off lol but i figured it would collect a lot of crap on it but yeah im gonna put the skimmer on the other side of the pond but how would i put it in a cinder block wall?

We made a wood frame, don't have a concrete wall, buried the legs of the frame 2 feet down to make the skimmer stable. Also to keep freeze from heaving it out of the ground. Before you build your wall, know what skimmer you are getting and like dodad says leave a space for it.

Ask a Question