Quilt batting in trays

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Everything old is new again. I was using quilt batting at least 15 years ago and I am quite sure I got the idea from somebody else. So not bragging just saying.

A lot of what you see here is junk pressed into service. Either stuff works or it does not. Sometimes I put on my engineer's hat and make stuff nice but often I just use the junk especially if I do not see the setup as long term. So if you have an aversion to junk read no further!

Back then I had 2 of these drip trays over a box of bio balls sitting on the liner. Today I found the same trays fit nicely between the top bars on an IBC container. Something to lessen the impact of the water as it hits the quilt batting will be setup later. Does not have to be fancy. In this case the water feeding the trays is direct from the 55 gallon barrel filter so it is after the mechanical and bio filtration. The previous filter should catch some of the solids.

qb1.jpg

I have been using the 3rd tray on the tower.

2013-07-03 12.40.35.jpg

This picture demonstrates that 2 layers of this batting will in time plug solid and the tray overflow. Additional batting past 3 layers does not do much. There is a lot of dirt in this water because I dumped a number of bare root lilies in this kitty pool without rinsing them after pulling them from their pots.

2013-07-03 12.50.56.jpg

Even with the batting saturated with much there was still enough water getting through to keep the lava rocks moist.

You can see the drip holes in the bottom of the tray. I am about to clean it.

2013-07-03 12.45.47.jpg

Cleaning the batting with a garden hose.

2013-07-03 12.47.13.jpg

Clean enough. The harder you work on cleaning it the less life you get from the batting.

2013-07-03 12.48.47.jpg

Here we start reassembling the filter. Start with a section of light diffusion grating in the bottom to keep the batting from clogging the holes.

2013-07-03 12.49.22.jpg

First layer.

2013-07-03 12.48.47.jpg

Second layer.

2013-07-03 12.50.32.jpg

All done.

2013-07-03 12.52.01.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I still use lava rock and used it here 9 years and in NJ for over 10 years so it never gets old if it works .I have learned if you hose it off keep it neat and let it dry in the sun and then soak in peroxide and water it works better .Plus I put furnace filter on top of it to catch the bigger stuff and just give that a hose off or slap against something to knock the heavy stuff off of it .It allows the quilt batting to work better and it does not clog up as fast

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good idea HTH and sissy too! I need to get my quilt batting out there working again for me any day now! I'll have to look around in all my collection of junk and see what I can come up w/ to make something similar HTH. Thanks for the instructions!

Ask a Question