Quite a few good year with my pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
When we bought our farm it came with a concrete hole in the backyard. Once upon a time it was a pond but no longer. After a few years I bit the bullet and paid for a liner. It was a good, kinda natural pond. As happens in nature sometimes, disaster hit my pond! It turned over, killing everything in it. Last summer I spent many an hour removing muck from the bottom of the pond after draining it. Did I mention my pond is not a tiny pond? I vowed to make a filter(hasn't happened yet). This year I was hoping the water lilies would have enough energy stored in the rhizomes that some might come back. Nope. The pond is now thriving with everything but water lilies and goldfish. I bought both but the 12 goldfish were gone pretty quickly. Could be a snapping turtle, cats, heron or illness. I never saw any floaters. For Mother's Day my son bought me an expensive lily from a garden center and I bought three from Lowes. Although they are not dead, they are not growing. So there's my ponding adventure. I miss my goldfish and lilies!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome! I know a few ponders who have goldfish ponds without filters (or waterfalls, or any kind of water movement at all, for that matter!) so it's not an absolute must that you have one for your type pond. But if things aren't working the way you wish they would, then it's time to figure out why!

First tell us about your lilies - how are they potted? Lilies are heavy feeders so most people find it best to fertilize them during the growing season. (Unless you have them growing freely in your pond without pots - that's a different story!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wondering if your being visited by preditors in the form of racoons , or herons or even both
Just how big is your pond and what depth is it does it have any shallow ledges that a heron could stand on ?
Try fitting a motion camera to over look the pond to see if you are unlucky enough to have nocternal visitors in the form of coons or early morning visitors in the form of herons.
It will be very interesting to see what they catch ?

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group, where are you located?

Ask a Question