Qury: Electrical ,Pump

Reaction score
I use a 75 GPH pump to keep a small area in a pond about 14x16x 2.5' from freezing. Pump sets on a crate about 18" below the surface w/ small hose pointed toward the surface. This keeps water from freezing. Now here is the problem. The pump works in the house[ tested in the kitchen sink] but if I use an extention cord, which is a must, it pops the electrical [whatsyoucallit] reset?:LOL: anyway I tested the extentions cord no problem with them but the pump will not run unless plugged directly into an outlet.If pluged in an extention cord first then into the outlet it pops the [whatsyoucallit]:LOL: Does anyone know what is going on? Is the pump mort[dead]? Maybe I should get another pump. :LOL: Why would it not work with an extention cord? It worked for 2 years, no problems. Any insight in this will help.
CJ

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The same extension cord? worked before?
The extension cord might be leaking voltage, get one that is larger (i.e. diameter wire size) You are popping the gfi, I have done that also using a extension cord that is too small for the draw of the item you are plugging in. You could also try a different ground fault receptacle the one you are using might be too sensitive.

Is it laying in the wet? you might want to run it through some pvc piping to the pump

Reaction score
Yes,same extention. Yes, worked with same extention for 2 years.
I finally used an extention when I tested pump in the kitchen sink, the braker popped & had to go downstairs & find which braker was for the kitchen. Better Half had list on the box saying what was what--I knew I kept him around for a reason. Still need a new pump

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Try a different extension cord before you buy a new pump.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Test your extension cord with a volt ohm meter (VOM) if you have one. Old pumps sometimes draw a lot of current, when they do, they need to be replaced.

Reaction score
if you are tripping your circuit breaker then it is more than likely a earth fault, what is the rated wattage and amps of your pump ? tho i would imagine that it shouldnt be over rated for the extension cable ! as extension cables will be on 1.5mm or over and rated for 13 amps, have you tried using a differant extension lead ? tho you should think about getting a more permenant solution rarther than an extension as they are not ip rated against moisture ! get an outdoor socket fitted ! is it a coiled type extension ? does it trip immediately or after a while ? as coiled extensions should be fully unwound or they can overheat and cause tripping !

Reaction score
Thanks all! I still don't know if the pump is useless. FYI the pump is a Leader Ecosup 1/4 HP 220 watts 1440 gph. I had an electriction test the outlets around the pond & found that the outlet this pump used was not working, that is his meter showed no electricity going to that outlet. I don't know if the outlet box did something to the pump or the pump did somthing to the outlet, electriction not saying. I am getting a quote for fixing the electricity. In the mean time, I am using my backup pump, & a different electricial outlet, so pond is find for now. I saw the fish :fish:& they look okay. I really want to get started on cleanup. I have a plant bog planned to add this spring.
Thanks again to all [mogie. Drdave & abby]

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had the same problem and all it was was the actual outlet had to be replaced .I just went to lowes bought a new gfi outlet (they are not cheap) and turned the circuit breaker off replace the outlet and it worked fine .Looked at the one I took out and it had a slight crack in it .My son who put all the wiring in for the pond as he is in construction told me that that sometimes happens with them in the winter on really cold day and you unplug or plug something into the outlet .He said they don't make them as good as they use too ,He also told me they will trip because they just wear out or get loose on the insides from plugging and unplugging things .Outside conditions make them do it more because they are subject to extremes in weather .I guess like anything you need to test them once in awhile as nothings made to last forever

Ask a Question