Raccoon tore up top pond last night! Got only some small koi!

Reaction score
IMG_0775.JPG Photo above from after! It always leaves me with a violated feeling but that is nature! Last night was a visitor who tore up our top pond all the plants and got some small koi for dinner. He even dug up some of the grass! Luckily the big pond was covered with heavy wood lattice! It sure left his mark in my pond and yard! Now to cover the top pond for the winter! I also have a motion light but didn't help this time! It was safe all summer! Photo from before disaster! IMG_0024_2.JPG

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sorry to hear .I have cameras and just added a new one that has an indoor alarm on it that sounds when something moves by the pond .My son got it on ebay .I have a motion sensing light by my guest house that also has an alarm on it that sounds and flashes and indoor light that you plug into the indoor unit .Not sure where I bought it from since I have had it for years .

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Though not the president of racoon haters club, I hate them a lot, they got mine and my fathers ponds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
God it looks like a tornado went through your pond @Jacque44 , I ask the same question of depth by CometKeith what is your ponds deph , not that we have raccoons in the UK .
Looking at your pond I had an idea but this may do one of two things, this may make things worse for your fish, or it may stop them all together a little like the wood latace work on your other pond but of Aluminium and heavy UV protected plastic.
At worst they may manage to rip your pond plants out ...... now its just an idea but you could put a protective grill in the pond .
It is a safety idea we think was invented by a UK company to stop small children from falling in and drowning please see link :-

http://www.safapond.com/americanpg.asp

As you can see from the photos it can take the weight of a fully grown human and more importantly it can be secured .
My thoughts would by if you fit this Mr Raccoon would not be able to get this fish , yes it would not stop it wrecking plants but it ould give the fish time to go deep.
As you can see its a multi national company with an American Canadian website .
You might think god thats an ugly thing to have over the pond or just under the water but we found when we had our pond netted that you soon ignored or zoned out the net , I would think that the same thing would happen here.
As you can see it can help protect your pond against herons , my thinking is this may well be effecive against other preditors like the raccoon.
The raccoons may even think that to walk on the safety grill was a non starter to them, they are after all quite clever creatures
It maybe that it appears alien to them that they might not attempt it and after testing its parimeters for weak spots find it too impregnable for them.
Or they fnd it that hard to catch things that they decide this is not a good place to eat pond plant roots and fish in this pond and simply move on elsware .
I dont know the costing of having it made then fitted for your size of pond but theres no harm in emailing them with your pond Length and width is there ?

Dave

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Darn sorry for the mess.
We have a lot of raccoons, they have never bothered my pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You can buy a sprinkler system for about 35-45 dollars that has a motion sensor on it that shoots anything that moves in front of it. If your local store doesn't have one, the place I work at does and I could have one shipped to you. It works really well (just don't forget to turn it off when you want to walk by it)

Ask a Question