Raccoon trap

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey guys. Thought I’d share a simple raccoon trap I made using a barrel. I’m sure it would catch a mink or otter if a fish was used as bait as well.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That’s pretty cool! Thanks for sharing!

One of my favorite YouTube channels is called “Mouse Trap Monday,” by a guy named Shawn Woods (I think he’s out in Oregon or Washington). There are a ton of mouse/rat trap channels out there, but his is different. He actually collects antique traps and demos them on his channel. He also gets inventions sent to him, with a lot being 3-D printed. Some are kill traps. Some are live-catch. Some can be used either way. He will set them up and get videos of the traps in action. This helps him trouble-shoot, exactly like you did to discover how the ‘coons were escaping, so he can tweak the mechanisms. Unfortunately, some of the traps just don’t work. What’s cool, is that if he catches non-native, invasive critters in his traps he will humanely euthanize them (not on camera) if it is a live-catch trap. If it’s a kill-trap, well, they’re already dead. But he will set up cameras on his property and place the dead critters out at night to see what comes to eat them! For native catches, he takes them a distance away from his property and releases them. @Cabinetman You should send this video to him!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, that's really possible. If I had found this discussion earlier, I might have created this trap. I also had a nest of a few raccoons near the house.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, that's really possible. If I had found this discussion earlier, I might have created this trap. I also had a nest of a few raccoons near the house.
hi @Russpip, i wasnt aware that we had wild raccoons in the uk where abouts are you ? hopefully no where near me if you have raccoons.;)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have a lot of raccoons, they get to live in the woods. Hardly ever bother the ponds.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Russpip Hello and welcome! Did you come to our group because you have a pond, or because you were searching for raccoon traps, LOL! Just curious, because we love to hear about others’ ponds and would be interested in seeing pics and hearing about your pond stories. Please go over to our “introductions “ topic and tell us about yourself.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1634749236184.gif
@Russpip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It made a big mess in my yard, but most of all, it scared me not to approach the child and to transmit an infection to him. I didn't want to shoot them or catch them with an electric trap; I let this team (link removed) take care of that and not to see these animals anymore near my house.Brian & Josie installed an electric fence, and they didn't come anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It made a big mess in my yard, but most of all, it scared me not to approach the child and to transmit an infection to him. I didn't want to shoot them or catch them with an electric trap; I let this team https://houston.aaacwildliferemoval.com/raccoon-removal/ take care of that and not to see these animals anymore near my house.Brian & Josie installed an electric fence, and they didn't come anymore.
I’m confused…. You’re in the UK, so how did you use a Houston, TX based company?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Me too, IP addy checks out for the UK, not blacklisted, I am removing the link.

Ask a Question