Raccoons are now my number one mimesis.

Reaction score
Bought a large bag ($$) of Tetra Koi food two weeks ago and now it’s all gone. Bought a Rubber Made plastic storage container that I thought would work well to keep the critters out as it had a latching hinged lid on it. Two nights ago found out that it did not work and a raccoon ate almost half the food. Last night I decided to put a large rock on top and in front of the door along with a bolt through the lock eye so the thief could not get into it anymore. Well, the dam thing ripped the door right off the hinges and ate the rest of the food. Must have been out of anger for his extra effort he also decided to rip up the landscaping around the pond and eat all of the morels mushrooms I had been letting grow a bit that I was planning on picking and eating tonight.

First night I was thinking shame on me, should of known better. Talked to my neighbor the other day and found out he was feeding them which in my book is a huge no, no. Makes them fearless of people and they then get into everything and cause more destruction which had been happening around my yard. I’m really pissed and now setting traps and going to start feeding them some lead.

I can usually coexist with the wild around me with no problems but, this time it means war. He won this battle but he won’t win the war.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
I hear yah man. If your not welcome, stay away. I had a heron land 8' from me the other day that the neighbor was feeding 2 days earlier. I told him right away DO NOT FEED THAT BIRD IF YOU CARE ABOUT IT!

Reaction score
Airic said:
Bought a large bag ($$) of Tetra Koi food two weeks ago and now it’s all gone. Bought a Rubber Made plastic storage container that I thought would work well to keep the critters out as it had a latching hinged lid on it. Two nights ago found out that it did not work and a raccoon ate almost half the food. Last night I decided to put a large rock on top and in front of the door along with a bolt through the lock eye so the thief could not get into it anymore. Well, the dam thing ripped the door right off the hinges and ate the rest of the food. Must have been out of anger for his extra effort he also decided to rip up the landscaping around the pond and eat all of the morels mushrooms I had been letting grow a bit that I was planning on picking and eating tonight.

First night I was thinking shame on me, should of known better. Talked to my neighbor the other day and found out he was feeding them which in my book is a huge no, no. Makes them fearless of people and they then get into everything and cause more destruction which had been happening around my yard. I’m really pissed and now setting traps and going to start feeding them some lead.

I can usually coexist with the wild around me with no problems but, this time it means war. He won this battle but he won’t win the war.
That sux my neighbor lost 6 koi last year to racoons and where I live racoons haven't ever been seen till last year.I was gonna kill the racoon before it could get to my fish but the bear beat me to it.As long as the bear is around the racoons aren't and the bear doesn't seem to care about my fish YET.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Barbeque coon is not that bad ..
Feed them corn for a week for a better flavor :beerchug:

PS3

Reaction score
get a have a heart trap and take the Raccoons to the park and let them go.
or keep the fish food in the shed or in the hosue

hap

Reaction score
I find if they have a bad experience they stay away for a while, such as falling into the pond.One year we left a radio playing at night,they didn't come around that season.
but that depends how close your neighbours are.

Reaction score
If they have been fed and start showing no fear it doesn't matter what you do. I've had them on my back deck litteraly knocking on the door. Thats when its time to say good bye.

Ask a Question