Raccoons!

Reaction score
Chicago is truly an amazing place. We're the third largest city in the country but we have wild apex predators worthy of Yellowstone or Yosemite. Many urban and suburban areas are home to coyotes, foxes, peregrine falcons, red tailed hawks. My husband even saw a bald eagle recently.Less charming are the raccoons. My subdivision has a lot of raccoons. I installed pond netting over my pond to keep out debris and predators. I weighted it down with small crescent blocks. Well, I went outside this morning to find the net halfway pulled into the water and one of my plants resting on the bottom. I have an upper terrace I keep my plants on. This is a problem for many reasons. 1) spilled plants spill dirt and debris into the water, 2) falling objects can harm fish, and 3) that water is still COLD and pulling heavy things off the bottom is not fun.

Any ideas? I really would rather not contend with trapping them. Shooting them isn't an option for various reasons.. Thanks..

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
There is not all that much you can do. I recall people trying electric fences, Net says at least 2 wires. 1 close enough to the ground so they can not get under and the last high enough that they can not jump over. I suppose they have to grab the top wire to get over. maybe wet down the area under the fence prior to turning it on at night.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are lucky, raccoons in the woods, but no issues with the pond. I have seen them a few times up on the deck, going after the squirrel food, big suckers.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You could always try one of those sprinkler that are motion activated and see if that works, just make sure that you don't forget it is on and get sprayed yourself.

Reaction score
taherrmann4 said:
You could always try one of those sprinkler that are motion activated and see if that works, just make sure that you don't forget it is on and get sprayed yourself.
Better to get sprayed yourself than contend with the raccoons.... They are cute, but can be hell to contend with.

Reaction score
You know, you can use very low voltage electric fence and have it on a timer so that it only comes on at night. I've just recently figured out that the damage to my veggie garden was being done by a raccoon and not the armadillo I've been blaming. Now I'm wondering if the missing fish here and there could also be a raccoon. I don't normally see any damage to plants around the pond, just the holes the raccoon is digging.

Here are some resources I found useful.

http://icwdm.org/prevention/fishponds.asp

http://icwdm.org/wildlife/Raccoon.aspx

http://www.lochnesswatergardens.com/pondblog/keep-masked-bandits-from-stealing-your-fish/

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/raccoons/tips/raccoons_trash_yards_gardens_ponds.html

Notice that even the humane society recommends electric fencing.

Reaction score
HTH said:
High voltage electric fences like the sort farmers use are not deadly. Why low voltage ?
Umm, I think I stated that incorrectly. I should have said a low-joule system. Don't need as much energy transfer for a cow, compared to a dog, compared to a raccoon. The point is to deter the raccoon (or heron, or whatever small critter with visions of sushi) from visiting your pond. A system designed for cattle, or even a dog would be too high of a jolt. Well, not necessary. It is a negative reinforcement to encourage the critter to move along to the next dinner bar.

Reaction score
Ah, finally re-located this article from Washington Fish & Wildlife that is very informative.

An excerpt:

Discourage raccoons from disturbing pond plants and other aquatic life.
Raccoons are attracted to ponds because they associate them with a food source. While a motion-activated light or sprinkler, or your shouting may scare off a raccoon, this is usually temporary. A raccoon, especially an urban raccoon, may run away the first night, walk away the second night, but, if there’s no additional deterrent, by the third or fourth night the animal will be back with the light shining brightly or the sprinkler sprinkling strongly.

Always give fish a safe place to hide by constructing hiding places on the bottom of the pond. Use cinder blocks, ceramic drain tile, wire baskets, or upside-down plastic crates held in place with heavy rocks.

To prevent raccoons from disturbing aquatic plants in containers, use containers that are too heavy or wide for raccoons to overturn. Securing chicken wire over the top of the containers will prevent raccoons from disturbing the soil inside.

Although it’s awkward looking, small ponds can be completely covered with a barrier that can be left on permanently or removed daily.

Since raccoons are most active after dark, be sure the pond is covered at night. Examples of barriers include one-inch mesh chicken wire laid over the surface and held in place with stakes—raccoons will walk on the barrier and try and go under it. (While black bird-netting is less conspicuous, raccoons and other animals can easily get entangled in it.) A wooden or PVC pipe frame covered with wire mesh can also be built to cover the pond. Maneuvering over pond plants with any of the above can be difficult.

An alternative frame can be constructed from heavy plastic lattice available from home improvement centers. Carefully cut the lattice so it fits in the pond; cut out pieces to accommodate any pond plants. Cover the lattice with bird netting (with the solid backing, animals are less likely to become entangled in the netting). The netting can be glued to the lattice using Shoe Goo® or other waterproof glue.

For larger ponds, stake 2-foot wide strips of chicken wire flat around the inside of the pond edge where raccoons are entering. (Cut the wire as needed to match the curvature of the pond.) Raccoons will have difficulty reaching over the wire, and will tend to not stand on it because of its instability. To camouflage and extend the life of the wire, spray it with dark-colored automobile undercoat paint or other rustproof paint.

Figure 8. Install two electrified wires, 6 and 12 inches above ground around field crops and other areas needing protection. The fence can be hooked up to a switch for discretionary use; when you want to work near it, turn the system off. Where the fence presents a safety problem, install signs, short pieces of white cloth, or other material on the wire for visibility. (Drawing by Jenifer Rees.)

Ponds with steep, 2-foot high side walls discourage raccoons from entering the water, but may be a safety hazard for small children and the elderly. These hazardous areas can be located away from paths and/or be heavily buffered with dense growths of tall marginal plants and shrubs.

Two electrified wires, 6 and 12 inches above ground and just back from the water’s edge will deter raccoons. A single strand of wire may be sufficient, but two wires will provide added insurance against the animal making the climb. The wires can be hooked up to a switch for discretionary use; when you want to work near the wire, turn the system off. Where the barrier presents a safety problem, attach signs, short pieces of white cloth, or other material on the wire for visibility. (See "Electric Fences" in Deer for additional information.)

Prevent damage to lawns. Because worms and grubs inhabit areas just under well-watered sod, raccoons (and skunks) are attracted to these food sources. See "Prevent Damage to Lawns" in Skunks for ways to prevent conflicts.

Reaction score
Fortunately the raccoons don't appear to have been back. They must have decided the netting was too much of a bother. Fortunately the fish have plenty of places to hide so they should be safe.

Ask a Question