Raccoons?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had my pond for 7 years and have never lost a fish due to predators. A couple of weeks ago, something got into my plastic automatic feeder, the next night they sunk it! I knew it had to be something dexterous and strong to remove it from it's base. I put out a Haveaheart trap and a few days later caught a big raccoon! I drove the raccoon about 3 miles away to a lake and woods. I've had a time trying to get a new automatic feeder, my Dad is in hospice so I've had to travel back and forth quite a bit. I've had to hire a neighbor kid to feed my fish! Anyway, this morning when I went to feed my fish, I saw one of my smaller fish just laying lifeless in the lawn beside the pond. He wasn't scratched or gorged or anything. What are your thoughts? Do you think the raccoon came back (or some of his friends)? My husband thinks he may have jumped out? I'm so afraid for my other fish now. I'd love to hear your thoughts on how this happened. And should I put my dome net cover back over the pond? I'm afraid all the frogs coming and going will get trapped inside or stuck in the net. I usually just put the net up for fall/winter. Thanks!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
feeder should not be put back because it is attracting the animal .I even have to keep my fish food from predators

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
One thing that a wildlife rehabilitator told me once: if you are releasing an animal — if possible and practical — drive it to the opposite side of a body of water (a river, preferably). They have a remarkable way of finding their way back home.

How big is your pond and what kind, how many fish do you have?

Reaction score
Country
United States
One thing that a wildlife rehabilitator told me once: if you are releasing an animal — if possible and practical — drive it to the opposite side of a body of water (a river, preferably). They have a remarkable way of finding their way back home.

How big is your pond and what kind, how many fish do you have?
My pond is approximately 1500 gallons and 4 feet deep. I have 3 large koi and HAD 4 small koi. The more I think about it, I think the little guy jumped out accidentally. He had absolutely no markings on his body. We have had a lot of rain here in Atlanta and my pond level is higher than usual. This morning, all 7 fish were accounted for.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Raccoons are a amazingly clever. They used to get to our hummingbird feeders at night even if they were hanging 8 feet up off the deck. An auto feeder wouldn’t stand a chance against a determined raccoon. Not sure how good they are as large fish catchers.

Ask a Question