raggy gold fish mouth

Reaction score
One of my gold fish seems to have a ragged mouth. At first I thought I thought he had something hanging off or out of his mouth but I think its actually part of him. His whole mouth area is uneven and looks as though it has several protrusions growing from it. None of the others look like this.
Does anyone know if this is common or if it sounds like a disease?
He hasnt been injured by any fish as he is the who lives alone. (not for the want of trying to mix him with others)

Also, one of the boys tripped and fell and spilled a whole load of fish food into this pond about a week ago. We tried our best to fish out as much as possible but there is still some among the plants ect. When I did the water change today I tried to get more out but it just broke up into the water. Am I best just to leave it to rot away? So far the water is in good condition but is there anything I can add to counter the excess food sitting in it? There is only the one fish in this pond but it is a small pond.

Reaction score
I have been looking up goldfish diseases and I wonder if the fish has got something called cotton mouth.
It hasn't caught it from others as it lives alone.
I have read that it is a bacterial condition and can be caught from poor dirty water.
The water when we recently tested was good but that was prior to spilling all the food in.
I think this post should be in the disease forum but I dont know how to move it.

Reaction score
Hubby caught fish and had a look at him. He had no other signs of illness but had what looked like tumours growing on the outside corners of his mouth. Dont know what it was but he has humanely disposed of him.
We will keep the small pond fish free now unless needed in the future as a hospital pond.
How long before we could put any fish in there given that this fish must have had some condition or disease?

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Lily, it sounds a lot like tumors I've heard of in goldfish. Might include some pictures so the people who are more familiar might have some hope of diagnosing the problem.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Lilly
I'm not sure what you consider humanely. The only Humane method I am aware of is chilling them, that puts them to sleep and then placing them into a freezer. They do not feel pain or stress and in this way, are put down humanely.

Reaction score
DrDave that is how he did it, I think it was your self who told me that method previously when we had a poorly fish but that time the fish died naturally.

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
No, not at all. I think one of our regular posters here said they had one with three year old tumors. Somebody help me here! Please?

Reaction score
I have one with that has had the tumor for over 3 years. It is slow growing and she never shows any signs of it bothering her. It is only about an inch wide and 3/4" high. I am sure the tumors grow at different rates like in people. Luckily hers grows slowly. Here are the pictures I have posted before.

Attachments

• BigRed2.JPG
    BigRed2.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 338
  • BigRed.JPG
    BigRed.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 343

Ask a Question